ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I've just noticed that more states are still using the 2017 NEC than the 2020. Perhaps a result of Covid??

Just wondering if those 2017 states will eventually go to the 2020 NEC, or just skip it and go to the 2023?

Anyone heard anything along those lines?

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Bureaucratic inertia keeps Florida a cycle behind no matter what. It has to do with the timing of the other codes that make up the Florida Unified Building Code adopted state wide and it is all adopted at the same time.

Greg Fretwell
N
The 2020 is a mess at best.

G
I saw the 1st draft of the 23 and they are just getting silly. I am glad I don't have to look some guy in the eye and explain the logic of some of the changes. I think the final draft is out in a month or so but I probably won't have time to look at it. Florida isn't even on the 20 yet.

Greg Fretwell
Want confusion.....

NJ is under the 2017 NEC with amendments
The 2020 is to kick in, last I heard was October 2022

As to our required Continuing Ed classes....
The 2020 was mandatory 9 hours for last license renewal
The 2023 will be mandatory 9 hours for next license renewal.

Frankly, I have to refresh on the 2020 changes/additions soon. I have to dust off the books first.

Greg, you are not alone in Florida.

John
G
I put my license in inactive status so I am not going to be doing those CEUs anymore but I do still try to keep up on the net. I am pretty sure I am done working tho. I could always reactivate the license with some CEUs if I guessed wrong. wink

Greg Fretwell
I put mine on the shelf a couple cycles ago and was just thinking I should update myself on what's new.
Given the close proximity of the 2023 I may just go straight to that. dunno

Bill
I guess I should add the required CEUs for my inspectors licenses.....
Electrical is 3 technical seminars (zoom style now) each is 8AM to 3PM'
Administrative is 2 seminars (zoom style) each is 8AM to 3PM

John
G
We also need to add an ADA class, a law class and an ethics class in addition to the technical requirements. I am not sure why an electrical inspector needs to know how to mark a handicap parking space (way more complicated than just painting that symbol) or what the wheelchair turning radius needs to be in a public bathroom but we do.
It did beg the question, if you did get a ticket in an improperly marked handicap spot, could you beat the ticket? but being caregiver for 2 disabled people, I don't do that because some people need it. We don't even use them with a pass because my folks can navigate a few steps. The handicap spot is not necessarily the closest anyway. It is just closest to the accessible route that may be a ramp at the far end of the store.

The ethics is basically two hours of how not to take a bribe and the law class is just stupid. It ends up being the article and subsection number of various laws not what they say or mean. The courses could be better but they aren't.

Greg Fretwell
Greg
One of the CEU seminars is ADA, and it was mandatory for inspectors (Elec., Building, etc)

It was an 8 to 3 (in person), and it was 'everything' ADA, from ramp pitch, to radius, to door handles.

As to 'law' here it's part of the required contractor CEUs and it's 1 hour, related to business and State laws .

John
Cat Servant
Arkansas uses the 2020 — and I expect they’ll adopt the next one as soon as it comes out.

Ready for it? Heck no! Even a cursory glance reveals a bunch of changes with a direct impact on ordinary house wiring.

What I really meant was if anyone knew of jurisdictions that are intending to adopt the 2023 soon, maybe even skipping over the 2020.

Bill
OK, the 2020 is being adopted here in NJ as of 9/06/2022. There is a 6 month grace period from that day forward, for those that request it.
Time to review the 2020 changes, t's been a while since I opened that book.

John
G
Usually when there is a code change here contractors rush to get their permits in under the old code. I haven't heard the schedule on the 20 yet but I am guessing maybe October. I am not really in that world anymore.

Greg Fretwell
We have the 6 month grace period, IF the applicant requests the 'Old' Code.

And, near the end of that 6 months, the rush will be here.

John
Cat Servant
Arkansas adopts the latest code as soon as it comes out, but you have three years to get certified in it.

J
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Arkansas adopts the latest code as soon as it comes out, but you have three years to get certified in it.

So you get to learn the old code and not the current requirements. Makes sense.

Cat Servant
Snark attack?
Let’s assume a new rule was adopted today. When would you expect to have it covered in your CEU class?
If your license expires next week — good luck finding a seminar by then. If you renewed it last week, the issue can’t possibly arise before this time next year.
Likewise, look at the prints for the job you’re working on today. Which code cycle was in effect when they were approved? It will take awhile for the new code to be applied at the plan review stage.

In practical terms, how often do you encounter a situation where the latest code has a relevant change? If you learned the trade “the most led fashioned way,” chances are your practices will have anticipated code by decades.

Don’t sell Arkansas short. Heck, what’s better than a ground hog burger for lunch? (Jimmy Dean in the bun instead of beef.)
😁

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard