ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
2phases Offline OP
I apologize for the essay, if anyone is willing to give advice I would really appreciate it. I’m trying to get into the IBEW union local 58, Michigan. I had my interview with them in November and was not accepted. Previous to the interview I called every single contractor in their region, over 50, asking for a position in the warehouse or literally anything and they all couldn’t accommodate me at the time. I got my CPR, chauffeurs license, and OSHA certificate. I spoke with the head of NECA in my area before the interview as well asking what I could do to increase my chances. At the time of the interview I actually had an interview with one of the guys I spoke with and he asked if I had done any schooling or experience and I told him I did not. As I have no schooling or experience. Since then I’m joining an electrical school in January and I’m going to re apply in the 90 days. However my question is this. I recently called one of the union contractors and he offered me a position as a stock boy in his warehouse. Also I found another non union contractor that offered me a position as his “apprentice” and he would let me work on anything. I’m debating on which one I should take. The union guys pros are that I can tell the interview board I’m working for one of your contractors but the cons is I that I will only learn about equipment and tools of the trade. The non union guys pros is that I will learn all hands on when it comes to electrical and I’ll get to do that full job but his cons is that he isn’t connected to the union.

Now the interview board told me that I lacked experience and schooling, the schooling I figured out but with experience the only one that will give me that is the non union guy, but I just don’t know how big of a deal and how much weight it holds to tell the interview guys I work for a union contractor, because all I would be doing is working in his warehouse sweeping and organizing the shop. I realize I have to start at the bottom and have no issue with that but I wonder what job would help me the most?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank for your time.

Alex

Alex

All I can say is, learning about the equipment, and tools of the trade will be a 'start' IMHO. All of us, or most of us started at the 'bottom'; sweeping, being the 'gopher' etc. Working in the shop is a start.

As to the 'hands on' offer, again, you will be the 'newbie'.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard