ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221523 07/18/21 12:20 PM
timmp Offline OP
Hey, I live in NE Indiana, and in 2020, I lost power 6 times by July of the year. The super substation is 8 miles away, and I am the last customer on a one mile run of power liked on that main line that serves two towns and the additions around them. There is a three block area that always has the issues that causes the power to be lost for 35+ more customers. I've lived here for 25 years, and have seen all the foibles of I&M in servicing me and my neighbors. Now that I have been retired for 3+ years, I didn't feel like getting out the portable generator so I cold flush and shower, and started looking for a standby/backup generator.

I have some photos you might enjoy. If they don't answer your question about the install, give me a shout.

...Timm

Attached Images
Generator01.jpg Generator02.jpg Generator03.jpg

Timm
T
What was the reason for the 2 additional ground rods? I'm asking because I want to know. Not to pull some kind of Gotcha. Did an electrical inspector require them? Is it a Generac installation standard?

- -
Tom Horne

G
My guess is the transfer equipment makes this an SDS. (switched neutral)

Greg Fretwell
timmp Offline OP
I don't think its part of Generac's procedure, I was here when the local electrical inspector came and he actually followed the ground wire from the transfer box down under my stone and found the two rods till he passed the install. So it must be a local requirement. During the install, I asked about my two original ground rods, and they are still active.

Timm
G
Is this an SDS (switched Neutral)?
If so look at 250.30

Greg Fretwell
timmp Offline OP
YES, the neutral is isolated during backup power. Which is why I now have two sets of two grounding rods.

Timm
E
I think it's well worth it to spend a little extra money and go with the full house standby generator. The peace of mind you get from it is well worth it. Just make sure to have a licensed electrician install it, not some local handyman that may not be familiar with all of the compliance and code.

timmp Offline OP
For 22 years I has a portable with a transfer switch that powered enough to run the well, the furnace, and two refrigerators and lights. 3 years after retirement, I hired this done, and I have not looked back. Being as I have done electrical work for years, It was very refreshing to find a vendor that knew it all and did it all. CORRECTLY!!! I only had to remind the electrician of the group that I already had a sub panel and show him what wire was the neutral and ground for that feed. Everything else was great.

Timm
C
As a back up generator, you can choose 10000 watt generator. You can operate lights, refrigerator, freezer, most small appliances, a water or sump pump, a window air-conditioner, and/or furnace conservatively with a 10,000-watt generator. These items will mostly be run through your 110-volt circuits.

Link Copied to Clipboard