ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Iwire...I see those pictures do point out this change very clearly....although there are no sizes established in the pictures.

Would the jumper from the bus to the grounded service conductor in the service equipment have to be the same size as the GEC, which is based on the size of the largest ungrounded service-entrance conductor?

jsherrard's description in his post has a 1/0 connecting to each panel which is smaller than the GEC which is 2/0 from the bus to the electrodes.

shortcircuit

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
That is a good observation one I also noticed but he is correct.

He has a 800 amp service consisting of two 400 amp panels.

The GEC tap from each panel to the grounding bus is based on only the service conductors feeding the panel it comes from.

Now the bonding jumper from the grounding bus to the water main has to be sized on the total service conductor size.

This is covered by 250.64(D)

Considering the conductors from the panel to the grounding bus are called GEC Taps and the conductors from the grounding bus to the electrodes are called bonding jumpers, the only GEC in his installation may be the grounding bus itself.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-15-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Ok... I read 250.64(D)...which allows this arrangement.

But...would these taps to the 400 amp panels be of sufficent size to handle the ground-fault current that may be available from utility source?

Wouldn't the size of the main ungrounded service-entrance conductors(or equivalent size) in jsherrad's (which is a 1000 circular mills) and the neutral be capable of ground-fault current greater those taps can handle?

I thought that table 250.66 bases the size of the GEC according to the largest ungrounded service-entrance conductor for this reason [Linked Image]

shortcircuit

I
I am in a hurry and I will get back to this.

Short answer is the GEC for one particular panel only has to handle what the service conductors feeding that particular panel can supply.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
X
In electrical control panels, busbar (Bus bar) is a aluminium/copper strip or bar. This busbar is installed inside the panel with the help of insulators and colour coded via coloured shrinkable sleeves. Busbar can be installed in Panels, Busducts, busbar chambers for locally transmission and distribution of power.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard