ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BigB Offline OP
Additional hazard created by ground rod

Attached Images
genfault.jpg
BigB,
How often would a situation like you've pictured occur?
I'm of the understanding that most tools and appliances these days are Class II (double insulated) and have no reference to ground, whereby they have a plastic body and no ground conductor.
Yes I can understand that there might be some Class I appliances still out there, but if people are going to use them, would they not use an in-line GFCI/RCD?

Libellis,
Sorry, don't think for a moment that I was having a go at you. cool
I should have been clearer as well.
Down here, we like to throw a GFCI/RCD on everything that might become a safety hazard either now or in the future,
it's not ideal, but when you have idiots working with electricity, there may be problems.
And with generators, there usually are........

B
BigB Offline OP
Originally Posted by Trumpy
BigB,
How often would a situation like you've pictured occur?
I'm of the understanding that most tools and appliances these days are Class II (double insulated) and have no reference to ground, whereby they have a plastic body and no ground conductor.
Yes I can understand that there might be some Class I appliances still out there, but if people are going to use them, would they not use an in-line GFCI/RCD?

I imagine it is rare to non-existent, but by the same token how often would the ground rod do anything beneficial? Yes GFCI protection is required but you can't control what Joe Public does. We still have kitchen re-modelers here who don't bother to install them.

L
Trumpy,

No, I didn't take any umbrage at all, and I know from your various posts the value you place on safety and common sense.

G
I suppose the point being made is by grounding a portable generator you are creating a fault path for no particularly good reason. Let's look again at why we ground electrical systems (250.4(A)(1))

(1) Electrical System Grounding.Electrical systems that are grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner that will limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that will stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation

You are not going to see line surges or contact with higher voltage lines if you are using a generator and if your generator gets hit by lightning you are toast anyway.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard