ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
All that I did back when we bought this house was backyard specials workshop, and always had a tarp handy for the pop up t’storms.

Neighbor’s workshop has been his driveway as his garage/shop is loaded with materials for the extensive project he’s into. He has tarps also.

My wood projects were new slab solid pine doors, routed hinges, drill knobs, etc., sand/stain/poly &hang. Oak pre finish flooring, trim molding, shelving, chair rail, exterior doors (pre-hung & finished). Oh, to have a shop!

Bill: Nice cabinets and Greg nice projects.

John
My God Bill,
You should be totally proud of that effort, especially the router work.
I bought myself a router 3 years ago and while I've used it for simple housing joints, profiling the sides of timber sections and what have you, I don't think I could even come close to that.
And let's be fair here, having something like that on show in a kitchen, it needs to be PERFECT, especially for domestic harmony and when your guests look at it, it needs to prevent them from saying "How much did that company charge you for THAT??!!" grin

Top work there, Bill, that looks great.

G
I agree Trumpy. Bill is a woodworker. This is Norm Abrams stuff.

I guess I am just a carpenter wink

I do have a "that won't break" attitude before "perfection". The joint may not be perfect but it is backed up with a simpson clip.

Greg Fretwell
You Guys are too kind. I'm just beginning to learn this stuff. There's a lot of Instructional Videos out there for almost anything.

Bill
G
If I got serious about it I would need a better table saw. This old Craftsman has been beat to death and it was a low end saw when I got it. I have cut everything from steel plate to pavers and then I try to make a precision cut on a piece of mahogany wink

Greg Fretwell
My Dad had a full shop in his basement. I wish I had room for some of his equipment, but I didn’t. I just have a portable Table Saw that I built a table around. It extends to the left side and there’s a drop leaf in back.

My grandson helped with the table build.

Attached Images
3A600477-762B-44C1-9AF3-2B5694DB7AFB.jpeg
Last edited by Bill Addiss; 05/10/21 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Bill
Now that's a table saw!!

I had an old Craftsman like Greg mentioned, beat up too. The 'extensions' were the foldable saw horses.

Bill, that's really great looking!!

John
G
Mine had the 16 ga pan extensions. I took the one on the right side, where the fence rides, off and mounted a router in there on a beefed up extension. Now I can use the fence and the guide slots for a sled with the saw or the router. I also drilled some holes for pins so I can cut and edge circles with the router. I have also made some jigs for different things with MDF.

Greg Fretwell
G
I haven't seen it for a while but PBS has a show called "Router Workshop" with a couple of guys from Canada. They do amazing things with routers. The "Woodsmith Shop" is good too if you have all the tools to keep up. OTOH if you like old school Roy Underhill "The wood smith" does it all with hand tools.

Greg Fretwell
Is Underhill the guy that used to go walking or skipping thru the woods on the beginning of the show?

I think he had a drill press that he pedaled or something like that... no power tools

Last edited by Bill Addiss; 05/11/21 12:42 PM.

Bill
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard