ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221321 05/05/21 04:44 PM
I just got a notice from NY Dept of Labor stating someone filed for Unemployment using my slightly misspelled name and my SSN, but an address in the City.

After an Hour trying different phone #s, I have yet to reach an actual Human to find out what to do. The Number they tell you to call has a message saying to send in written proof of reason for denial. How do you prove a negative?

I did finally get to leave some messages, lets see if I get a call back.

Anyone else had this yet?

Bill
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Bill:

IMHO, the concern is your SSN.

You may want to look into any activity related to your credit reports, etc.

Many years back I had a situation where an unknown secured a bank loan with my ID. It took a bit to get it cleared, and off of my credit reports.

John
Yes, my thoughts exactly. From what I'm hearing it's a widespread problem.

I did get a call back from someone at DOL and their recommendation was to fill out a Fraud Report online at their website, so that's what I did.

The email confirmation I got back from them recommended checking and then freezing my credit reports with the 3 agencies. That way it would be difficult for anyone to open up any new accounts or loans and I can unfreeze at any time.

Bill
G
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
... freezing my credit reports with the 3 agencies. That way it would be difficult for anyone to open up any new accounts or loans and I can unfreeze at any time.

I have done this for several years. Doesn't prevent all shenanigans, but goes a long way, and it's cheap.

It was a small hassle when I switched cell phone providers and forgot to unfreeze before heading to the cell store. smile

Originally Posted by grich
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
... freezing my credit reports with the 3 agencies. That way it would be difficult for anyone to open up any new accounts or loans and I can unfreeze at any time.

I have done this for several years. Doesn't prevent all shenanigans, but goes a long way, and it's cheap.

It was a small hassle when I switched cell phone providers and forgot to unfreeze before heading to the cell store. smile

grich,

I appreciate your reply. Apparently this problem is widespread, which is really sad...

I'm not rich, never was, probably never will be, but I left the house in the morning, and returned at night knowing I did the best I could to help support my family... honestly... It really bugs me that so many people are trying to rip you off these days. mad

Bill
G
The problem is the penalty for stealing from the tax payers is not enough to deter them from doing it. Most of these programs carry a double digit percentage rate of fraud. That is everything from food stamps to medicare and unemployment.

Greg Fretwell
I got a letter yesterday, as did 2 other members of my household from a "Midvale Indemnity Company" stating they had a "Data Breach"

Don't know who they are, but they're saying someone may have asked for an insurance quote using our names and address and from that were able to obtain our Driver's License info and that 'may have' been used to apply for Unemployment Insurance Benefits...

Really!! If it's that easy there is something seriously wrong with the system mad

Bill
G
There is something seriously wrong with the system, particularly in the last year. The unemployment offices were swamped with applications and most decided to give too many people the benefit of the doubt without doing any serious investigation so it opened the fraud floodgates. Someone here is suggesting that up to half of the claims have some level of fraud in them, from misstating income or details about how they became unemployed all the way to identity theft and pure theft of benefits.

OTOH the letter you got could be fradudlent itself phishing for information so they can steal money.

These days I don't trust anyone.

Greg Fretwell
Bill:

The info you stated has a real bad smell to it. Sounds like the 'Indemnity' company had someone access their data.

You and yours should keep a real good eye on your credit reports, and like Grich said, do a freeze.

Last edited by HotLine1; 05/19/21 02:10 PM. Reason: corrected Grich from Greg

John
A google search shows Midvale Indemnity as an insurance co. in Wisconsin, and they do small business insurance.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard