ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#221320 05/04/21 07:11 PM
I get asked all the time.. Don't you want to go to ...(fill in the blank)... why not?
Its like they're looking at me like I have 2 heads if I say no...

Honestly, (with some exceptions), I like to be home and do what I do. Is something wrong with that??

Bill
G

This was where we were for the last few years.
We liked hiking and just walking around meeting people. When she was working we were flush. Nice seat on the plane, nice rental, nice digs. It was fun while we were young.
The HOA business broke her, she doesn't want to go anywhere but to see her kids and doesn't want to talk to anyone else.

1997 South Caribbean Cruise
1998 DC
1998 East Caribbean Cruise
1999 Tennessee
2000 Cape San Blas.
2004 Alaska
2005 Idaho Wyoming
2006 New Mexico Arizona
2007 The Dakotas
2008 New England
2008 7 Springs ski trip
2009 California
2009 Smokies
2010 Georgia
2011 Colorado
2012 Md 4th
2012 North Carolina
2013 Oregon
2014 Montana
2015 New Zealand
2016 DC
2016 Michigan
2017 Mash Stomp NC

Greg Fretwell
In no particular order, over the years...

California; San Fran down to Tijuana Mex., and back to LA
Various Islands, Bahamas, PR, etc.
Arizona, Grand Canyon, Vegas
So. Carolina
Florida, Naples, Keys, Disney
New England States
Various cruises
DC and Virginia areas
Alaska
Bermuda
Quebec
Local NY, Ellis Island, Niagara Falls, etc.

John
HotLine1 #221330 05/07/21 11:52 AM
I've been to Alaska on a cruise, that was nice. We used to go to the Outer Banks every year, and have a Timeshare in Orlando that we use every year except last. I'll take a weekend trip not too far away, but really have no interest in going out of the Country.

I've got Hobbies now and with few exceptions my idea of a vacation is just doing what I want instead of what I have to do.

Bill
G
When we went to Alaska we were there a little over 3 weeks. We flew into Fairbanks, rented a minivan and drove all over. We really enjoyed the Kenai the best. We did one day hike that you had to take a water taxi to in Kachemak State Park, across the bay from Homer. It is the only access. It was really cool and certainly good if you want to get away from civilization. The only real touristy places we were was Denali and Seward (where the ships dock). We didn't spend much time there but we did go out on a whale watching boat. We were supposed to take a float plane trip up north from Fairbanks but the airline screwed us up and we lost a day. The way it turned out none of our hotel reservations worked out anyway so we could have gone.

Greg Fretwell
Our Alaska trip was also tied with a cruise. Flew into Fairbanks where I booked a extra day. Landed there and wow, there was a wildfire and the smoke was really thick, so all we could do is hang in the hotel. Left Fairbanks to Denali for a day, did the tour thing. Then, the scenic 9 hour train to catch the cruise ship. Saw a lot of the countryside from the train. The cruise was interesting, glaciers, etc.

Docked in Vancouver, bus to Seattle, and plane back to the good old Garden State.

Greg went for the non-tourist trip.

John
You guys both went further up north than I did, I would've liked to see that.

We had a one week cruise that left out of Seattle and meandered up as far as Glacier Bay and came back down, stopping here and there. I took a seaplane trip to see the Salmon Breeding Grounds and panned for Gold at another stop. We had reservations for a Helicopter ride to land on a Glacier, but it was too cloudy for them to fly.

If I did that again I'd start out further North to see where you guys went.

Bill
G
We even ducked the bus tour at Denali. There is a trail that goes north along that river right at the gate where cars have to stop and we walked about 3-4 miles up that trail. (took a lunch). It was pretty cool and we saw a bear about as close as I wanted to get to him. He was fishing on the river bank and we were at the top of a pretty good sized cliff on the other side. He was maybe 150 feet away and still looked huge. It was not like the little black bears we get here.
We also liked Cooper Landing. There were some little dirt roads that got you back in the woods pretty far for a nice walk after dinner but in June that can get pretty late. It was still daylight at 10pm. Lots of critters back there.

Greg Fretwell
Hi Bill,
I've been to the following places, in no particular order:
  • Australia - Even lived there for 9 months working.
  • England and Scotland
  • Ireland - Don't ever let anyone tell you it's cold and miserable, if they do, they only went to the tourist traps.
  • The US - I went on a package tour with some friends of mine, from CA, down in pretty much a "smiley face"
    through the South and up the East Coast to New York, I'd do it again, but not in such a condensed
    sort of thing, it was a real eye-opener, great people though, you could come across any type of person
    in a matter of minutes, the Auusie guy that was also on the tour (not part of our crowd),got sent home 5
    days into the tour for drunken behaviour.
  • South Africa - I got coaxed into this the year before last, by a guy I used to work with, he came from there, the cities
    are terrible, avoid them, but once you get out to the country, people are so welcoming and you won't
    get robbed or indeed set on fire.
  • The Chatham Islands - Out in the sea off of the East Coast of New Zealand.
    I have family there, our tribe ate the Mori-ori's to extinction, before we moved to the
    mainland of New Zealand.
    After being there for 2 months, I was sick of crayfish and seafood and just wanted a meat
    pie on return to the mainland.

Mike:

That excursion classifies you as a world traveler in my book!!

John
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard