ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#221268 04/28/21 07:21 PM
I've always liked making things out of wood. Recently I've gotten better tools and have taken on more advanced projects, which means buying and working with better wood, which obviously costs more...

I admit to being a hoarder when it comes to things I think I can make something out of, or may need in the future.

My question is... what do you do with your stock/scrap wood? I've always thought it should be stacked horizontally, as flat as possible, but that's not really practical in limited space. What do you do?

Bill
G
I have wood everywhere. There is an overhead rack hanging from the trusses in the garage for long stock and 2 roll around carts for sheet goods plus a couple of stand up racks for short pieces of more exotic stuff. I was in Key West a couple years ago and they had a wheel barrow full of Ipe cutoffs up to 2 feet long. The guy said they were trash. I took all my wife and all I could carry. That is pretty cool stuff. I make lots of stuff out of wood, I used to make all my own computer cases when I was getting PS/2 parts for free and regular consumer cases would not work.

Attached Images
Wood M30 286.jpg Mod30 woodie.jpg woody.jpg

Greg Fretwell
G
Since I got my raised panel kit I have made some cabinet doors. These are on my boat, made from Trex, just because it holds up better in a salt water environment.

Attached Images
Console Doors.jpg

Greg Fretwell
I'll have to do more research on best ways to deal with storing the wood. At the moment it's basically outside under an awning, so subject to heat, cold and humidity.

Those Computer shots bring back some memories of the old PCs!

I haven't tried working with Trex yet, I'll have to give that a try. I just bought a Router & Table last winter (2019-2020) and have done some Raised Panel projects with it too and getting pretty good at it (I think smile ). I'll post some pictures later when I get a chance.

Bill
G
Trex is softer than a lot of "soft" woods and machines fairly well although the edges don't have that polished look you get on the planks. I always have a few pieces laying around for things that will be in harsh environments. I also like the Azek type of solid plastics. It isn't pretty like wood but it will be here in the next millennium. IBE is also that way and the price is similar but it is heavier and harder on your tools. It does finish nice and I use it for little things but I also have an Ipe deck in the new enclosure we built on the pool deck.
This is $2400 worth of Ipe back when wood was cheap 6 or 7 years ago.

Attached Images
Img_3103.jpg deck judy.jpg bamboo install.jpg

Greg Fretwell
I’m jealous for sure!

This was my first project using the Router (winter 2019-20) Made from pine and cedar.

Attached Images
923FF030-946C-4BF5-8960-30559A1ADF93.jpeg

Bill
2020-21 Winter project was Kitchen Makeover:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill
G
That came out nice. I haven't been that ambitious yet in the wood shop. I am more into construction.

Greg Fretwell
I surprised myself with the results.

I don't really have a shop, it was done under an awning outside which I enclosed somewhat by wrapping a tarp around it and heating it with a Propane heater. At best I think I got into the 50s during the winter.

Bill
G
I usually end up in the driveway for big pieces but it is warmer here

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard