ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#221268 04/28/21 07:21 PM
I've always liked making things out of wood. Recently I've gotten better tools and have taken on more advanced projects, which means buying and working with better wood, which obviously costs more...

I admit to being a hoarder when it comes to things I think I can make something out of, or may need in the future.

My question is... what do you do with your stock/scrap wood? I've always thought it should be stacked horizontally, as flat as possible, but that's not really practical in limited space. What do you do?

Bill
G
I have wood everywhere. There is an overhead rack hanging from the trusses in the garage for long stock and 2 roll around carts for sheet goods plus a couple of stand up racks for short pieces of more exotic stuff. I was in Key West a couple years ago and they had a wheel barrow full of Ipe cutoffs up to 2 feet long. The guy said they were trash. I took all my wife and all I could carry. That is pretty cool stuff. I make lots of stuff out of wood, I used to make all my own computer cases when I was getting PS/2 parts for free and regular consumer cases would not work.

Attached Images
Wood M30 286.jpg Mod30 woodie.jpg woody.jpg

Greg Fretwell
G
Since I got my raised panel kit I have made some cabinet doors. These are on my boat, made from Trex, just because it holds up better in a salt water environment.

Attached Images
Console Doors.jpg

Greg Fretwell
I'll have to do more research on best ways to deal with storing the wood. At the moment it's basically outside under an awning, so subject to heat, cold and humidity.

Those Computer shots bring back some memories of the old PCs!

I haven't tried working with Trex yet, I'll have to give that a try. I just bought a Router & Table last winter (2019-2020) and have done some Raised Panel projects with it too and getting pretty good at it (I think smile ). I'll post some pictures later when I get a chance.

Bill
G
Trex is softer than a lot of "soft" woods and machines fairly well although the edges don't have that polished look you get on the planks. I always have a few pieces laying around for things that will be in harsh environments. I also like the Azek type of solid plastics. It isn't pretty like wood but it will be here in the next millennium. IBE is also that way and the price is similar but it is heavier and harder on your tools. It does finish nice and I use it for little things but I also have an Ipe deck in the new enclosure we built on the pool deck.
This is $2400 worth of Ipe back when wood was cheap 6 or 7 years ago.

Attached Images
Img_3103.jpg deck judy.jpg bamboo install.jpg

Greg Fretwell
I’m jealous for sure!

This was my first project using the Router (winter 2019-20) Made from pine and cedar.

Attached Images
923FF030-946C-4BF5-8960-30559A1ADF93.jpeg

Bill
2020-21 Winter project was Kitchen Makeover:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill
G
That came out nice. I haven't been that ambitious yet in the wood shop. I am more into construction.

Greg Fretwell
I surprised myself with the results.

I don't really have a shop, it was done under an awning outside which I enclosed somewhat by wrapping a tarp around it and heating it with a Propane heater. At best I think I got into the 50s during the winter.

Bill
G
I usually end up in the driveway for big pieces but it is warmer here

Greg Fretwell
All that I did back when we bought this house was backyard specials workshop, and always had a tarp handy for the pop up t’storms.

Neighbor’s workshop has been his driveway as his garage/shop is loaded with materials for the extensive project he’s into. He has tarps also.

My wood projects were new slab solid pine doors, routed hinges, drill knobs, etc., sand/stain/poly &hang. Oak pre finish flooring, trim molding, shelving, chair rail, exterior doors (pre-hung & finished). Oh, to have a shop!

Bill: Nice cabinets and Greg nice projects.

John
My God Bill,
You should be totally proud of that effort, especially the router work.
I bought myself a router 3 years ago and while I've used it for simple housing joints, profiling the sides of timber sections and what have you, I don't think I could even come close to that.
And let's be fair here, having something like that on show in a kitchen, it needs to be PERFECT, especially for domestic harmony and when your guests look at it, it needs to prevent them from saying "How much did that company charge you for THAT??!!" grin

Top work there, Bill, that looks great.

G
I agree Trumpy. Bill is a woodworker. This is Norm Abrams stuff.

I guess I am just a carpenter wink

I do have a "that won't break" attitude before "perfection". The joint may not be perfect but it is backed up with a simpson clip.

Greg Fretwell
You Guys are too kind. I'm just beginning to learn this stuff. There's a lot of Instructional Videos out there for almost anything.

Bill
G
If I got serious about it I would need a better table saw. This old Craftsman has been beat to death and it was a low end saw when I got it. I have cut everything from steel plate to pavers and then I try to make a precision cut on a piece of mahogany wink

Greg Fretwell
My Dad had a full shop in his basement. I wish I had room for some of his equipment, but I didn’t. I just have a portable Table Saw that I built a table around. It extends to the left side and there’s a drop leaf in back.

My grandson helped with the table build.

Attached Images
3A600477-762B-44C1-9AF3-2B5694DB7AFB.jpeg
Last edited by Bill Addiss; 05/10/21 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Bill
Now that's a table saw!!

I had an old Craftsman like Greg mentioned, beat up too. The 'extensions' were the foldable saw horses.

Bill, that's really great looking!!

John
G
Mine had the 16 ga pan extensions. I took the one on the right side, where the fence rides, off and mounted a router in there on a beefed up extension. Now I can use the fence and the guide slots for a sled with the saw or the router. I also drilled some holes for pins so I can cut and edge circles with the router. I have also made some jigs for different things with MDF.

Greg Fretwell
G
I haven't seen it for a while but PBS has a show called "Router Workshop" with a couple of guys from Canada. They do amazing things with routers. The "Woodsmith Shop" is good too if you have all the tools to keep up. OTOH if you like old school Roy Underhill "The wood smith" does it all with hand tools.

Greg Fretwell
Is Underhill the guy that used to go walking or skipping thru the woods on the beginning of the show?

I think he had a drill press that he pedaled or something like that... no power tools

Last edited by Bill Addiss; 05/11/21 12:42 PM.

Bill
G
Yes that was the guy. He used to work at Colonial Williamsburg Va before he became famous.

Greg Fretwell
That's an oldie, gotta be 40 years since I've seen that.

Bill
G
PBS is still running the Underhill show. The Router Workshop show does seem to be unavailable now. I am not sure where it went but they may have a licensing thing since it came from Canada.

Greg Fretwell
My Dad used to watch all those shows. Back in those days we only had one TV, so I watched what he watched.

Bill
G
They are still running the Woodsmith Shop on the PBS Create channel. That is the one with all the power tools you wish you had. Tuesday has a show about router joints.

Greg Fretwell
Just thought of this last night:

I got a Craftsman Router for Christmas back when I was in my 20s. Never thought I'd have a use for it, so I never even opened the Box. Sears took it back for credit over 20 years later. They had a great guarantee.

Bill
G
I started with one of those Craftsman 1/4 " routers but when I started playing with raised panel doors my wife bought me a Porter Cable 1/2" that can spin up those big bits.

Greg Fretwell
G
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
Is Underhill the guy that used to go walking or skipping thru the woods on the beginning of the show?

I think he had a drill press that he pedaled or something like that... no power tools

My wife calls him Roy Underarm. He would work up some huge pit stains in his shirt using the hand tools, and it would gross her out. laugh

G
Originally Posted by gfretwell
They are still running the Woodsmith Shop on the PBS Create channel. That is the one with all the power tools you wish you had. Tuesday has a show about router joints.

The Woodsmith Shop show is shot at a studio a few blocks west of where I am right now.

If you want to drool over their wood shop, check out the pictures in this forum:

https://thepatriotwoodworker.com/forums/topic/23635-woodsmith-wood-magazine-studio-visits/

I have a crappy contractor saw at home for rough stuff. For fine work, my boss allows me use of the 70-year-old Delta Unisaw in the wood shop at work, as long as I bring my own blades. It has a dust collector and extension table with a nice rip fence.

Impressive!

I'd be afraid to get the place dirty!

Bill
Originally Posted by gfretwell

I guess I am just a carpenter wink

Greg,
It is so easy to go from heirloom furniture to firewood in one wrong cut with the saw or the router.
We all need to remember this.......

Last edited by Trumpy; 05/24/21 05:01 AM.
One thing Bill,
I've never liked the idea of the Table saw, I do all of my cuts with a circular saw over a couple of saw horses and 4 x 2" timbers between them.
At least the saw blade is below the timber as it's being cut and you have a guard on the saw.

Originally Posted by Trumpy
One thing Bill,
I've never liked the idea of the Table saw, I do all of my cuts with a circular saw over a couple of saw horses and 4 x 2" timbers between them.
At least the saw blade is below the timber as it's being cut and you have a guard on the saw.

Until recently all I had was a circular saw. The Table saw gives a much better & straighter cut than I could ever do with a Circular saw.

Bill
G
I have been using a table saw for about 45 years since my first major remodel/addition. There are plenty of things you can do with a table saw that are really scary trying with a circular saw. When combined with a "sled" (a carrier for small pieces) you can do stuff that is impossible with your handy Skil saw.

I have certainly made my share of firewood tho. I try to test a new jig with framing lumber and not the $10 a board foot wood I want to end up using.
Today I think SPF goes for that tho.

Greg Fretwell
I made a sled too. I agree, very handy. Also good for getting a square cut on longer pieces.

I have a Tapering Jig too, which is does things that would be difficult otherwise.

Bill
G
My sled is really just a piece of 3/4" plywood with a 3/4" rail under it. I just screw stuff to itr as I need them. Toggle clamps are really handy.Amazon has a pretty good selection. I screw them to the sled to hold whatever I want to cut if it is a finger hazard. You can also screw a cleat or 3 down to make a bunch of repetitive cuts. It helped when I needed to make a bunch of octagons.

Greg Fretwell
That’s basically what mine is minus the clamps. I want to add some to hold down smaller pieces and to make repetitive cuts but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Attached Images
100A258C-1309-4CBF-8EB8-CC210EB4060B.jpeg

Bill
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard