ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 411 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221180 02/15/21 12:18 AM
S
40 years never crossed this bridge
House was built in 67, alum wiring, all original recpts (sierraplex)
UL listed volts & amps stamped on strap, but no markings for CU OR ALR
Any info could help

G
That designation wasn't around until the 70s. I always believed, properly made up connections were OK. Most of the problems were workmanship related. (some homeowner inflicted wounds) Are you seeing any heating issues as you are looking at them?

Greg Fretwell
S
Buyers inspector called for all devices to be verified alum compatible. I never like doing unnecessary work on alum wiring

G
You are right. If it has been working OK, no signs of heating, I wouldn't screw with it. Tell the buyer you will buy new devices but he has to replace them after the sale closes. Then it is his problem. I think the aluminum wire thing was over hyped. If your 1967 house hasn't burned down yet and you have no trouble signs, it is OK. Messing with can only make it worse. I would address any devices that do show signs of heating but you have to mess with it to see. That old 1350 alloy wire doesn't like being bent much and it will break. That is just my opinion but I had an "aluminum" 1971 house and my ex still lives there trouble free.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard