ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
I forgot to suggest a couple of things for your observations:
1.)Check your readings again with your isolation TX unplugged. It helps you see how much your setup is acting like an antenna. If the readings are non-zero(They will be.), try moving the leads around on the table or placing your hands along the wire insulation in various places.
2.) Switch your meter to read frequency if it has that feature. See if you're reading line frequency or a harmonic of same.
Joe

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Potseal Offline OP
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
I forgot to suggest a couple of things for your observations:
1.)Check your readings again with your isolation TX unplugged. It helps you see how much your setup is acting like an antenna. If the readings are non-zero(They will be.), try moving the leads around on the table or placing your hands along the wire insulation in various places.
2.) Switch your meter to read frequency if it has that feature. See if you're reading line frequency or a harmonic of same.
Joe

Yes, I have noticed the possibility of interference. For example, I will later post a couple images of the wave form shown on my oscilloscope when a nearby LED magnifying lamp is turned on and off. The wave form shape remains the same but the "lines get fuzzy".

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Potseal Offline OP
Well better late than never...

Scope showing square wave with nearby LED lamp off:

[Linked Image from i62.tinypic.com]

Dwayne
Potseal Offline OP
And with LED lamp on:

[Linked Image from i61.tinypic.com]

Dwayne
The most preferred scope is to connect normally. Floating the scope is the last thing you would want as an alternative.
You are potentially putting line voltage on the case of the scope and bad things can start happening very quickly, this could impose a risk of life too.

We suggest you look at the wiring diagram and decide where the grounded conductor is and ground the scope at that point. The small amount of ripple you see will not affect your measurement. It is tied to the ground via an external plug.

If you are looking at something on the load side of a transformer you should be able to ground the scope normally. You can ground the scope to the circuit through a light bulb, voltage wise. If it sparks, you are going to have to reconsider your plan of action.

Be sure you have the right ground clips if you are looking at line voltage.
It is best to learn your scope technique with a transformer isolated circuit, preferably at low voltages, like a doorbell transformer or a wall wart.

Electrical companies can provide the necessary advise based on the requirement and concern with the floating ground.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard