ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
dsk Offline OP
That describes how difficult this may be, and how important it is to know a lot of whats commonly used in both Europe, and USA.

I had to design a machine for the building of a bridge in USA based on European equipment, build it and travel over to USA and demonstrate and test it before we got it sold. If I failed we would loose ..lots. when I started I had never heard about 480V systems before, I did not know the NEC very well. (Still I had the 1987 bought on a holiday) so at least I had a interest of it. Ended up with making it as simple that it was possible to make it. A 480-24V supply and all the control gear for 24V. Then the motors should be made for 480V 3 phase 60 Hz, so ordered, but what did I get? Motors with label 400V 50 Hz eek. The motor maker, oh that I forgot, I send you e new set of labels! shocked And YES! thats all smile and it works perfect. grin The bridge may be one of the most expensive in the USA, but it ended good and looks like a bridge designed for looking good and to resist an earthquake.

To that here 3 phase is more or less standard in every house, but maybe smaller service fuses than you use to have. My house has 3 phase 230V (with no neutral) fused 80A My cabin in the country side has equal system fused 63 Amp. (that's more than usual for a cabin) and my main fuses are 3*25A there.

The 240V single phase with a center neutral that seems to Common in USA/Canada is not understandable for the common European without extra know-how.

I guess that is the opposite for for Americans coming over here.

T
The British Isles do have some split-phase supplies (230/460 V) in rural areas and rumour has it the Greater Berlin area had some 115/230 V supplies until very recently, although that might have been a wildly inaccurate description of a 133/230 V 3-phase system. Countries with 16.7 Hz railway power supplies use 231/462 V split-phase supplies for switch track heaters (to keep the points from freezing shut in winter), I have no clue why the inventors of that system chose such a strange nominal voltage.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard