ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by NORCAL

I find it disgusting that some restaurants count tips as part of the minimum wage. frown

That in itself Rollie, is what sickens me, you work your backside off and try and get above the line of (what could be poverty), but your boss is clipping your ticket, every way you go, that in itself is unfair.
You could be working a split shift (6AM -10AM) come back at 2PM and work constantly until the dinner service ends at 1 am, or what-ever time when folks won't leave.
If everyone in that restaurant tips poorly, your night is going to be not even worth you being there.
This also means that the restaurant needs to be full of customers.

Funny, the local talk radio station was discussing tipping a few times due to the holidays upon us. There quest was 'who' do you tip, and how much?

Garbage pickup, Fedex, UPS, Mailman (USPS), gas station guys, other service people, etc for holiday tips.

Some of the comments from the people who called in were shocking; "$5 when I fill up gas"; $20 to ea. guy on the trash truck, $50 to my hair stylist, and on and on.....

Wow.

John
G
That "fill up" must be a New Jersey thing. I never see a soul when I fill up. It is a card at the pump and fill it yourself.
I will grease the trash man if I have something really ugly for them to haul away like a big pile of construction debris ort something and my barber gets $5 or so. The cute girl gets $7. wink (haircut is $13 so I give her a $20)

Other that that it is mostly just servers in bars or restaurants.

My biggest tip ever is after Charley when the company my wife was building houses for sent over 3 Mexicans to help us clean up. I gave all 3 $100 each. It even freaked them out but it was worth every dime. It took one and a half 18 wheeler FEMA hort haulers to haul all the tree debris away. They had cut it all up and dragged it out to where the claw truck could get it.

Greg Fretwell
N
Originally Posted by gfretwell
That "fill up" must be a New Jersey thing. I never see a soul when I fill up. It is a card at the pump and fill it yourself.
I will grease the trash man if I have something really ugly for them to haul away like a big pile of construction debris ort something and my barber gets $5 or so. The cute girl gets $7. wink (haircut is $13 so I give her a $20)

Other that that it is mostly just servers in bars or restaurants.

My biggest tip ever is after Charley when the company my wife was building houses for sent over 3 Mexicans to help us clean up. I gave all 3 $100 each. It even freaked them out but it was worth every dime. It took one and a half 18 wheeler FEMA hort haulers to haul all the tree debris away. They had cut it all up and dragged it out to where the claw truck could get it.

New Jersey, & loonyland (Oregon), have no self service fuel, fueling of vehicles is performed by attendants. At least in Oregon, they get real huffy if you try do do it yourself, think they get fined if caught.

Trumpy Offline OP
Rollie,
We must be really backward over here in New Zealand, because I have NEVER
had any vehicle operated by me filled by anyone but myself, apart from the
odd apprentice. grin
In saying that, I have a fuel card that means I fill up with diesel at what
could be called a truck stop, the fuel is a lot cheaper though.

I remember a few years ago, I got a right old telling off by a female staff member
at the local service station, when I refilled my own 9kg LPG cylinder for a mates
BBQ.
She was like I would imagine the industry would have as a SWAT team.
Staff were standing around witnessing this, I had weighed the cylinder and wrote
the figure on my hand and was filling the thing when she scared the hell out of me.
"You can't do that!!!" crazy
"Where are your cold gloves and your other PPE!!!"
By then the cylinder was full and I turned off the feed valve, disconnected it
and took the final reading.
Walked into the service station counter and paid for it.
Put it into the back of my ute and drove off.

I've lost count of the number of times, fire brigades over here have had to go to
a persons house, because their refilled cylinder is now venting, because the
staff at the service station over-filled it.
I have had an LPG handlers licence for 25 years, otherwise, you wouldn't get
me near that stuff. whistle

Last edited by Trumpy; 01/04/21 06:36 AM. Reason: Typo's
N
To my knowledge, only Oregon, & New Jersey ban self service gas, everywhere else is self serve, 50 States, 50 different sets of rules.

Yes, NORCAL has it right. NO self serve gas here in the Garden State. Yes, some get upset if we get tired of waiting & try to DIY. Most of the pumps require the attendants 'card' to activate the pump, unless you come upon a really old station. A lot of the new stations are 'set-up' for self serve, but our state fathers refuse to allow it by law.

Yes, the stations can be fined for allowing 'self serve', but I have not heard of any.

Nice to know that a guy from the west coast is aware of NJ. "Jersey GALs do not pump gas"

Back a long time ago, I remember sitting at a gas station in NY State waiting for the attendant.....My first time out of NJ. Darn, that was a long time ago!!

John
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1

Back a long time ago, I remember sitting at a gas station in NY State waiting for the attendant.....My first time out of NJ. Darn, that was a long time ago!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha
That must have been pretty embarrassing, once you realised.

Last edited by Trumpy; 01/16/21 07:53 PM.
N
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Yes, NORCAL has it right. NO self serve gas here in the Garden State. Yes, some get upset if we get tired of waiting & try to DIY. Most of the pumps require the attendants 'card' to activate the pump, unless you come upon a really old station. A lot of the new stations are 'set-up' for self serve, but our state fathers refuse to allow it by law.

Yes, the stations can be fined for allowing 'self serve', but I have not heard of any.

Nice to know that a guy from the west coast is aware of NJ. "Jersey GALs do not pump gas"

What is funny is other then layovers back in 2006 at the Newark airport, I have never been to NJ.

Norcal:

Well, EWR (Newark Liberty Airport) has undergone a few changes for the better since '06 in case you ever get back here.

We're a diverse state and have some interesting areas other then the airport area. Crowded? Yes.

I've been to Ca, SF down to Tijuana and back up to LAX, but that was in 1986. It was a great ride.

Stay safe.

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard