ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Look at this mess...
by InspectorE - 10/27/20 09:09 PM
Unusual Well Pump Switch Failure
by InspectorE - 10/27/20 09:01 PM
New tool
by gfretwell - 10/24/20 11:09 AM
Where is Everyone?
by Bill Addiss - 10/17/20 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Questioning the electrical norms [Re: gfretwell] #220946 09/07/20 12:06 AM
A
AC_Electrical Offline
I think all of our hair dryers are double insulated but they also add an immersion detector so it will trip out if you drop it in the tub.

Test Equipment:
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Re: Questioning the electrical norms [Re: Meadow] #220971 09/13/20 12:47 AM
N
NORCAL Offline
Originally Posted by Meadow
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Toasters in the US are the metaphor for a potentially deadly appliance but they sell for $10 US (less than a 12 pack of beer).
I suppose we just trust the GFCI and get on with our lives. The actual death toll from kitchen appliances is lost in the margin of error in the statistics.

The lack of ground pins on small appliances are actually what got GFCIs into homes. Had their been a mandate GFCI could have been delayed if not eliminated in some areas of the home.

This goes into the history:
http://www.necconnect.org/resources/gfcis/

GFCI's were required for bathrooms, outdoor locations, & garages, long before they were required in kitchens, even then the requirements were limited to receptacles within 6' of the sink until it was later expanded to the whole kitchen.

Re: Questioning the electrical norms [Re: LongRunner] #220974 09/13/20 01:17 PM
G
gfretwell Offline
GFCI protection is much more significant than you would get by simply grounding the can. Using the toaster as an example GFCI protects the Darwin Award contestant who sticks a fork in there to retrieve a stuck piece of toast. Sinks and other water sources was where they began but standing barefoot on a tile floor in a house built on a slab is every bit as bad. The first thing I had to fix in this house was the grounding electrode system because the grounded equipment was carrying "tingle" voltage on the EGC, hence the can. Tingle is actually an understatement. It knocked the snot out of me the first morning I lived here. I was wide awake by the time the coffee was done.

Greg Fretwell
Re: Questioning the electrical norms [Re: LongRunner] #220984 09/22/20 09:33 AM
T
Texas_Ranger Offline
IMO toasters should have double-pole switches and all the respectable ones I've worked on did. However, I did also witness an RCD trip because of someone doing just that, so certainly not all of them do.

Y filter capacitors in appliances can give you quite a nasty belt when the earthing is compromised, either not connected at all or high-impedance, usually due to a poor connection. One of the most common complaints is "I always get a shock when I touch the dishwasher and the sink at the same time!". The first thing I do is break out the tester and do an earth continuity check (high-current resistance measurement) on the dishwasher socket.

Re: Questioning the electrical norms [Re: Texas_Ranger] #220985 09/23/20 06:38 AM
L
LongRunner Offline OP
Could also have been a faulty switch (one pole stuck closed) in the toaster, as has been implicated in these two recalls.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
SafetyWired
SafetyWired