ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
w2tq Offline OP
My usual practice when placing an outlet box (e.g., Raco 8232 quad) near a service panel is to mount the box on the same backboard about an inch away from the panel. I then run the Romex cable through clamp connectors (e.g., Halex 3/8" no. 20511) mounted in the knockouts in the panel and the box.

I recently came across a video where rigid box spacers (e.g., Halex no. 91641) were used between the panel and box. While this makes for a very neat installation, shielding the Romex cable from damage, one concern I would have is the lack of clamps preventing the movement of the cable when working in the panel or the box, notwithstanding the rigidity of the Romex. Of course, additional clamps (plastic, metallic) could be used in conjunction with the rigid box spacer, but that would make for one or two additional components in already tight quarters. I haven't tried this so it's not clear whether the back of the box would be flush with the backboard or is supported by the box spacers.

I welcome any comments including whether the code addresses this configuration (I was not able to find any provisions directly addressing the issue).

G
I see boxes connected to panels with close nipples all the time. I am not sure the code addresses conductors in a raceway being clamped at all except for long vertical runs where you need to prevent gravity from pulling them down. There is generally a row of KOs in a panelboard enclosure that lines up with the box KO so they have a common back surface. If you are using a spacer behind the panelboard or some other reason why they don't line up, you can use the offset nipple and rotate it to get the correct alignment, attach the box and tighten up the lock rings.

Greg Fretwell
OK, I checked out the video, still cannot determine what a 'box spacer' is. Could be a close nipple.

The video does not show any support for the box, nor does it show the box being bonded. This could be a moot comment as the 'box spacer' may be listed for bonding the box, but??

Just my .02 cents.

Common practice here is an offset nipple, or a short nipple if the box is 'close' to the panel.

John
G
The Halex number he gave is the close nipple with the shoulder so it will be OK for bonding using the knerled lock rings. If you use the right KO, it will end up tight to the back board so you can screw the box down.

[Linked Image from halexco.com]

Greg Fretwell
G
I looked at the video and that installer used 2 close nipples and I suppose that will locate the box fairly rigidly but I still like direct support when it is available. He is probably trying to use 314.23 (F) but that specifically says "threaded hubs". I doubt any children will die but I would still want to see a couple screws through that box into the back board or structure. (Even if he needed to come up with a spacer and tap con it to the wall)

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

I didn't lookup the item, and thank you for doing that and posting it here. I never saw that type of nipple/connector.

I did hear the video say 2 close nipples, and thought about 'why' briefly. Yes, it does not create a death threat being unsupported by screws/anchors, but I would have a discussion with the EC/installer about 'why'.

Stay safe and have a good day.

John
W
I've always used an offset nipple. Even if the knockouts don't line up the box can be screwed into the panel board to provide a secure attachment (and I think it gives it a more professional look).

Link Copied to Clipboard