ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 97 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Trumpy,
Pass mark is circa 45%. But I will let you into a little secret. Many college lecturers are under so much pressure to get their students through exams (because the college funding is based on "successful" output), that they actually tell their students the answers to the questions. And you know what? Some of the blighters still fail! Oops sorry, I mean they are still "not competent"!!

regards

lyle dunn
P
If this lot go out on electrical jobs and have to test whether a circuit is energized or not, I sure hope they can get the right answer a greater proportion of times than that! [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul/Lyle,
The unfortunate thing about this whole thing,
is the fact that some experienced, well trained person, is going to be killed, eventually, by some-one (a trainee), that is not going to know the difference of Isolation and Re-commissioning.
Who would you blame?.
Just as an aside, do your apprentices go straight to Training, before the apprentice starts an apprenticeship, as they do over here?.

C
C-H Offline
Is electrician a college education where you live? Here it's a highschool education.

Trumpy Offline OP
C-H,
Could you please clarify what you mean, regarding Education?. [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline
Phrased another way: If you want to become an electrician, do you decide that before high school or after? You must have some sort of formal training?

Trumpy Offline OP
C-H,
Generally,these days schools over here, are starting to listen to Industry, who are saying that they want trainees that know the basics of Electricity, Electronics and Workplace Safety.
You still have to have at least 3 years of Secondary School Education to Qualify as an Electrical worker over here.
We now have a "Competence-Based" training system, which would take years to explain clearly, but basically, what it means, is that trainees who have more common-sense and iniative(sp?), will do better and will pass through the training than, say someone who can't even add 1+1 to get 2.
Normally the choice is made at school, these days, as to what the said student wants to do, whereas when I left school, the decision was made afterwards, and you took what you were told to take.
My mother nearly fainted, when I told her I was going to be a Fire-Fighter!.

L
I hope this thread isn't too old to revive.

Well, I'm one of the fortunate few (having wired my own extension cords since the age of 5 or 6); and indeed ironically seem to be way more of an engineer than many of the newbies put in charge of recent standards amendments (which often end up taking costly and ineffective "shotgun" approaches, to problems that could be fixed properly at lower cost with a better understanding). grin The original standards themselves, developed from the beginning into the 1980s, were generally much better thought-out from what I've gathered; and of course the biggest dangers are from junk which meets no standard.

Even in my spare time, I can put current mainstream "reviews" (made of course by terminal sufferers of the Dunning--Kruger effect) of simple items to shame as you can see in my mini-review thread at Hardware Insights (where I'm a staff member):
http://www.hardwareinsights.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2160
I also catch a lot of junk just by astute observations, as you can see in my recalls thread there: http://www.hardwareinsights.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2279

Here's hoping that at least a few people will follow my example, so simple items can be held to the same high standards as more complex technology (and therefore become as trouble-free as they rightfully should be).

Last edited by LongRunner; 06/08/20 12:29 PM.
L
Originally Posted by pauluk
So next time you get a student in electrical class who decides that 240V into 10 ohms gives 2 amps, don't tell him he's wrong, just say he has "a unique perspective on the problem" so as not to cause him the terrible humiliation of getting his sums wrong.

And given the Dumbplex heater as included in my recalls thread, it looks like pauluk called it there. blush By now it's a wonder that anything basic ever gets done well... frown

D
dsk Offline
I should really wish that electricians learned more about how things work.

I will not in any way claim that my temporaily solution for the broken pressostat on my water pump is safe, but it works and nobody else is close to it. Hopfully the new pressostat is arriving soon, even when I have to use another type than the original.

A plastic bottle expands with the pressure, and hits the switch :-)

If the moderator has a better place for this in the forum, pleas move it.

Attached Images
2022-07-08 18.56.40.jpg 2022-07-08 18.58.50.jpg
Last edited by dsk; 07/10/22 08:35 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard