ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#220599 03/31/20 10:40 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
This sort of thing came about from the UK, some years ago and it used to mean that
the police, ambo's would wear these jerkins over their normal uniforms, so that they could be seen at night.

Then the fire brigades, when they replaced the elderly looking uniforms they had, started having reflective stripes all over everything, although, the NZ Fire Service always had reflective rank markings on their helmets and still do.

Now, it's got totally out of hand, if you look anywhere in society these days, you actually look out of place if you DON'T wear Hi-Vis gear.

You have builders, plumbers, electricians, you name it, not able to get on site unless
they are wearing either a bright yellow or orange coat or at the very least a jerkin.

My point is, if you are inside a building during the day, where there are no moving vehicles (which is why the jerkins and general Hi-Vis was thought up in the first place), how does this make you safer than what you were before?

Our school-kids now have to don bright pink + reflective stripes, in the playground, if they go out on the foot-path (side-walk) to run around and exercise, they need to change into bright yellow + reflective stripes.

This in my opinion is nothing but bollocks, jobs for the people that make these jerkins and the people that manage this sort of stuff.

I really hope that the US isn't going to go this way.

Your thoughts?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Trumpy #220601 04/01/20 02:20 AM
G
You only time we see that is people who work by the road or perhaps some hazardous locations. I did notice in NZ that everyone was wearing hi vis, even if they were fixing the drain under the sink in our hotel. I didn't say anything but we were both thinking "Hey Dude, we see you".

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
"Hey Dude, we see you".

LOL!

laugh

Bill
Trumpy #220607 04/01/20 01:57 PM
Mike:

We have been required to wear reflective vests (I guess what you call jerkins) on a lot of construction sites for some time. That is along with the other PPE like hard hats, safety glasses, footwear, as required. Now keep in mind we are the inspectors. It is Twp. policy, and required on most sites.

Personally, I like the reflective vest, especially when I have inspections at night, or dusk/dawn, and roadside jobs.

I also personally have a few 'hi-vis' shirts.

John
Trumpy #220609 04/01/20 05:44 PM
G
I had a lot of places where hard hats, safety glasses and real shoes/boots were necessary but not many where I was afraid of being hit by a car or a piece of heavy machinery. With machines, I always understood, I was responsible for my own safety. The operator usually doesn't see the guy he hit and probably wouldn't if you had a flashing beacon on your hard hat. They are watching the bucket or the load they are hoisting and you need to give them room. I always assume they are trying to hit me and maintain that much distance. Never walk under ANYTHING. That hard hat only tells them where to dig for your body. wink

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy #220612 04/02/20 02:22 PM
G
Having schoolkids wearing different colors of high-vis depending on where they are on the playground seem a bit excessive. I'd like to know what problem they're solving with this scheme. smile

Occasionally, I have to make measurements along roadsides, so I do carry a high-vis vest in my car. I also have a hard hat for the times I have to drive up to a 2000' TV transmission tower that is shedding ice.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
"Hey Dude, we see you".

Nice!!

grin

There was a funny thing, way back in 2006, I think it was.
It snowed here, in June and no-one could go anywhere, I helped out the local Civil Defence group with radio comms at the local council emergency operations centre.
Big Dave from Timaru Rescue Team had just got a new Hi-Vis ensemble and met us there.
I'll tell you what, you could see the colour come down the hallway and then there he was.
I had to put my dark safety glasses on, I remember thinking, the guys in the International Space station are going to be able to see this, it was SO yellow, it nearly burned my retina's out.
Everyone wanted him to take it off, it was far too "loud"

John (Hotline),
You're right, it is a vest, the Fire Service here calls it a jerkin.
Old habits die hard. smile

Trumpy #220739 04/25/20 05:13 PM
M
Depending on how anal the safety dept is, I will add a high viz boonie hat (on locations not requiring a hard hat) and/or high viz pants to the hi viz shirt or vest.

I even found on Amazon hi vis summer shorts.

Link Copied to Clipboard