ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#220530 03/14/20 03:43 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
I am ready to retire from my small business and I have been asked by my biggest account to continue to bid jobs and let them do the work with me receiving a commission. My best guys are going to work for them as well so the work crew will be similar, I'll just be there to bring in work. I know part of the reason they want this is because they do not have an electrical contracting license, they only have a general contracting license. So I would be the qualifying party that will allow them to contract out electrical work. Who here has done that or knows what is involved? I am seriously considering it but I don't know much about the legal aspects as this point. My biggest concern of course is how much, if any, liability will I be taking on and who carries the liability insurance, me, them or both? Any input welcome

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
BigB #220531 03/14/20 07:27 PM
G
Renting your license without personally managing the job is playing with fire. It is common but I think it is dangerous. Consult an attorney to see if there is a way you can do this via an LLC if you want to do it.

Greg Fretwell
BigB #220535 03/16/20 01:21 PM
BigB

Here in NJ, YOU are responsible. YOU MUST supervise & be involved. That is the Law/Regs.

That said, I know a number of guys that are referred to as "Paper Hangers". I call them with inspection issues, and the responses that I get are all over the map. Ranging from "what Town", "Where is it", "Who", etc.

There was a recent issue with a EC who passed away at least 3 years back, and permits were still coming across my desk. What to do but notify the State.

Read between the lines of what I say.

John
BigB #220540 03/19/20 09:04 AM
B
BigB Offline OP
Good points. I do plan on talking with legal people....IF I even decide to go this way. I could also just putter along doing the occasional small job and service work by myself, somehow that is looking like a much more stress free option.

Link Copied to Clipboard