ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#220471 01/24/20 07:21 PM
G
My Father in Law is having a bathroom re tiled, new vanity etc. So far nothing planned will trigger a permit here, no plumbing in the wall past the stops. I looked over the electric and the light and fan are on a general lighting circuit, the receptacle serving the counter top is on a dedicated 15a circuit. (just that receptacle on a 15a GFCI breaker) The 1440w wall heater is on a dedicated 15.
He really did not plan on any electric work. Is this important enough to insist that he remove and abandon the 15a circuit and replace it with a 20? It won't be easy.

Greg Fretwell
D
dsk Offline
Seen from Norway: This will not change any risk evaluations. Does something indicate the need of more power than available? If no, why add costs, and it is no reason for fixing somethings that works. If no regulations makes such demand, keep it!

dsk

G
We decided to leave sleeping dogs lie. To get to that receptacle with 12ga wire would involve drywall and we decided it was more than legal when it was installed and it was just going to stay. The receptacle in the other bath is wired the same way, on another dedicated 15, with no other outlets. We decided that is plenty. My guess is the next buyer will tear the house down anyway. That is real popular with PreFIRM houses on waterfront lots around here.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

Here (NJ) this would fall into "Rehab" section of the UCC. As long as you are not touching the existing branch circuits, or relocating the devices you are 'golden' with the existing.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but there are IT issues here in the office, and my days have been loooong so when I get home I just crash.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard