ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mbhydro Offline OP
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I have started to see in public places the 5-15R outlets that housekeeping would use in the hallways being either replaced with locking covers (downtown library) or L5-15R receptacles (our NHL Arena).

Winnipeg has a skywalk system downtown and I am guessing that the Library and Arena sections of the skywalk are taking steps to keep people from sitting in the walkways to recharge their cell phones, laptops etc.

B
I haven't noticed that yet but we've blanked them off in an apartment complex in the hallways because people were getting their power shut off for non payment then running extension cords out into the hallway for free power.

Common area receptacles in multi family resi are abused by the residents constantly. The Fire Marshals and Health guys find extension cords when they walk thru. Commercial buildings are just the occasional phone charger.

John
G
In our downtown area a few years ago, the perimeter fence for a cell site was cut, and homeless folk were plugging phones into the HVAC service outlet on the outside of the building. Then an extension cord appeared and electric heaters were attempted as someone tried to build a camp along the fence.. They blew the breaker and that ended all the fun. That area was cleared of brush and is being gentrified, booting out the homeless camps.

W
Might have something to do with the penny challenge? dunno

Last edited by WaterIngress; 04/29/20 01:01 PM.
M
mbhydro Offline OP
What's that? We have not had pennies in Canada for a number of years now.

G
It is dropping a coin between the plug and the wall so it lands on the blades. A loonie would work.

Greg Fretwell
T
Maybe time to ask the Australians how they managed to sleeve the prongs of their plugs without weakening them too much?

N
Originally Posted by WaterIngress
Might have something to do with the penny challenge? dunno

If the receptacle is mounted ground prong up, it would make it more difficult to play the penny challenge, not impossible but a bit more difficult. The mentally challenged seem to like those games just like the Tide pod challenge.

Originally Posted by mbhydro
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I have started to see in public places the 5-15R outlets that housekeeping would use in the hallways being either replaced with locking covers (downtown library) or L5-15R receptacles (our NHL Arena).

Janitors have a nasty habit of ripping the faces off of 5-15s , even the heaviest duty ones, by pulling sideways on the cords of their vacuum cleaners.
It's good that they converted to locking receptacles, if for no other reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard