ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#220414 01/01/20 12:46 PM
T
triple Offline OP
Why is it that rigid couplings are not allowed to be used as a transition between connectors? An example would be to connecting emt to flex by using their respective connectors with a rigid coupling in between. Is it a UL listing issue and the connectors are only listed to be used with lockouts? Is conduit grounding continuity not as well maintained without the locknut? Why, then, am I allowed to thread a connector into the hub of a weather-tight box? The finish on those boxes at least appears to provide an inferior connection when compared to a rigid coupling.

There are, of course, single, complete fittings that transition directly from one conduit type to another in a much cleaner fashion. However, due to their limited production, they are much more expensive. When used throughout a project, this adds up and is hard to accept without being given a reason.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
The NEC requires listing. For example, see sections 358.6 for EMT, 344.6 for RMC, 348.6 for FMC, etc., as well as 300.15 ("Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.")

With that said, neither your complaint nor the practice is unheard of, but whether or not it's accepted is up to the AHJ.

Ditto to the above response. This is one of the reasons that there has been a proliferation of fittings. See the thread "Do you count seconds" for some comments.

Today, there are fittings for all types of transitions that most of us guys that have been 'around' for a while used the old coupling setup for. Some AHJs enforce, some don't.

John
G
I always thought it was pretty silly to write a 110.3 on using RMC couplers for a transition between connectors. That is especially true if there is a hard wire ground in the raceway. I have heard it argued that the quality of the connection was "not evaluated" so you couldn't count on it if the raceway was the grounding path. It still sounded pretty silly to me. The reality is, I have only seen it done a couple of times anyway.

Greg Fretwell
T
triple Offline OP
Custom made gutters are allowed which are not listed or "evaluated". If I had our custom gutter builder weld in some couplings to use as box hubs to screw our connectors into, why would that not be acceptable? I understand that whenever an aspect of the profession isn't directly spelled out in the code book that it becomes a grey area that can be fully governed by the AHU. However, in many cases it feels like someone wanting to make their presence known (throwing their weight around) rather than using any kind of sence. Again using my example in my first post, does anybody disagree that the connection/impedance between an emt connector and a rigid coupling would prove to be better that that between an emt connector and a "Bell box" with its coating/enamel? Also, there is nothing that states directly that a coupling cannot be used as a transition and a connector actually has a shoulder to increase surface area of contact. I believe I have heard the argument that a connector has less threads of contact when compared to rigid pipe but it is still much more overall contact than a connector with a locknut. I wish the code would simply spell out this situation so that it would be held to the same standard everywhere. The only reason the "proper" connectors are so expensive is do to their low production numbers. If everyone was using them they should drop dramatically in price.

G
The bottom line here is if you can convince your AHJ it is OK, it is OK. Otherwise your fight is with NFPA. Convincing us isn't going to accomplish a lot. I think you should come up with code acceptable language for the right article we need to change and write a proposal for the 2023. The closer you are to the exact language you want to add, delete or change goes a long way towards therm taking it seriously along with substantiation.

Greg Fretwell
T
triple Offline OP
I don't come here to necessary try to change the code. I usually come here to try to get my line of thinking on tract with input from like-minded individuals. There are cases like this coupling issue where some people like to create a problem where there isn't one just because they can. I was hoping somebody would comment on the situations/examples I mentioned so that I could possibly wrap my head around the ambiguity. The electrical industry has plenty of large, important, grey area issues that DO need to be ruled on by the AHU. Feeling the need to find tiny holes in the code to leap at like found treasure seems ridiculous. Thanks for all the replies. I didn't expect to get a pleasing answer but more so wanted to vent.

G
It is things like that that do get changes in the code made. You are making decent arguments. It is not totally out of the question that a proposal could be affected. I suppose the question is exactly what language would you change or add. That makes it easier for the CMP to decide.

Greg Fretwell
G
Just a quick look gives me the idea that your proposal should be something like

Add the following text to 300.10 "The use of metallic female couplings shall be permitted to join two connectors of differing wiring methods".

Then give your substantiation.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard