ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
(RANT)

How many times have you had the Customer try to get the Final from the AHJ without paying the Contractor?

I don't miss that at all...

Bill
G
Where I was the state was the customer and state employees usually did the work if it wasn't inmates. When we did have contractors, they were usually pretty easy to deal with. I may not have had a lot of juice with the state employees but I could hold up a contractor's check.

Greg Fretwell
Greg,

Where I am there are private agencies that are approved to do inspections. Some have a storefront where the Homeowner (or Customer) could, (and has) gone in to ask for their final certificate trying to stiff the EC out of their final payment.

Luckily the Inspectors I've dealt with were aware of what was going on and would only give Certificates to me. Sometimes that would be my only leverage to get full payment.

Bill
G
I guess I did live a sheltered life, no homeowners wink

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
(RANT)

How many times have you had the Customer try to get the Final from the AHJ without paying the Contractor?

I don't miss that at all...

I was standing right by my ahj one day ,when his phone rang w/'customer' insisting the job done, spark fired.

he saw right through it

~S~

S
On that note, i have walked off jobs that won't pay.

The next reasonable course of action is to contact the proper departments, which 'final out' work to date.

The problem w/that is, they can not hold up the job w/specifics if they've already granted them a pass.

This i learned the hard way as an EC ......

If some customer needs a litigant flogging , an EC wants an >open< permit to wave about in court

~S~

Drama has a lot of different methods tha all are what most, if not all of us wish would go away. But, alas it never will.

It takes many routes, has many forms, and unfortunatley we have to deal with it the best we can on a regular, perhaps daily basis. Be it the office staff having bad days, either being aggravated by an irate phone call, a person at the counter, etc.

Then, you have the political issues, the "friends", and all the other cronies who impose on a normal day. Basically looking for inspections that are not scheduled due to oversite on their parts.

Then you have the problem issues; complaints that must be checked, non-permitted work in progress, demo jobs turned bad, hacks, unlicensed trunk slammers, etc. Add in the response to the Fire Dept,, Fire Marshall, and of course the vehicle vs. structure accidents.

I could go on.....

John
N
A bit off topic from another forum. www.notalwaysright.com

But one way to handle a ungrateful cusstomer.

(I’m a female on-call locksmith. It is 3:00 am, in -16-degree weather. I go to the car that the person has been locked out of. I make them sign the paperwork, and I pop the lock in under five minutes.)

Customer: “Wait! Why should I pay $150 for something that only took you two seconds?!”

Me: “Because you couldn’t do it yourself.”

Customer: “You b****! I’m not paying this! I’m going to dispute the charges!”

Me: “Well, in that case…”

(I take the keys and throw them back into the car, lock the door, and slam it shut.)

Me: “Have a good night.”

Customer: “You can’t do that!”

Me: “You just said you were going to reverse the charges, so I’m reversing the job.”

(I got chewed out so hard for that, but it was worth it.)

1 member likes this: David1
S
Good one Norcal

reminds me of calling into the poco for a smart meter disco, which they do via their main office

last time i even asked if they wanted any ID they said no....

man, the >evil< thoughts i had.....

~S~

T
Originally Posted by HotLine1
sparky:

"last time wasn't really our fault, we had our individual permits, but the building owner had not obtained his building permit."

Normally, that would not happen here, as only the complete package is released. When a 'partial' release happens,it is usually for footings, foundations; to allow the job to start, while plan review is completed.

If I get a chance next week, I'll scan some of our placards.

I'm amazed that NH has only three EIs. I remember a lot of beautiful, wooded, undeveloped lands, and a lot of miles between outposts.

HotLine1

I'll just throw in that I really hate anything that allows concrete work to begin before the building permit is issued. They often have a "No Other Trade On Site" provision. The presence of my marked truck is enough to trigger a violation process and a "notice of liability to forfeiture." In one county in Virginia; the State has a MIN/Max code; they got so aggressive that I filed a request for immediate appeal based on individual prejudice. Then the City Attorney was willing to talk to me. You know that requirement for providing for the use of the Concrete Encased Electrode? Has anyone worked with a concrete contractor that does not have to be directed to turn a piece of rebar up just inside the basement wall at the actual location of the Service Equipment? Or one that knows that the AHJ in some jurisdictions require a rebar inspection prior to pouring any concrete, Or that on a commercial building the electrical inspector has to sign off on any Grounding Requirement prior to concealing any connection? They sure get mad when the electrical inspector orders the installation of additional tie wires at any untied crossing point. Well once I explained that the inspector could and would fail my work because of work I was not permitted to examine prior to concealment he directly ordered the Chief Electrical Inspector to make immediate provision for coordination or to shift all aspects of concrete work to the building inspector to avoid a valid defense of Entrapment for the notice of Apparent Liability of Forfeiture. Virginia has some sort of process for decertifying an inspector who looses multiple appeals of their orders. I have no idea how or if it actually works but it is a step in the right direction and I wish that Maryland; were I did the vast majority of my work as a Master; would adopt a Min/Max Code and State regulation of inspectors. The electrician should not be the only one in that relationship who is held to a performance standard for their work!

--
Tom Horne

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard