ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#220248 09/05/19 04:15 PM
I was up in Nova Scotia last weekend and happened to spot this in town. Is this normally permitted up there?

I know it would be hard to make this fly where I am.

Attached Images
4FB7320A-886D-4085-942C-131339D0489B.jpeg EF2F8FC4-D1F5-4150-AF11-24E9B4E2ABF6.jpeg

Bill
FWIW, I find a few of these, usually the end result of a siding job, or a facade renovation, always done without a permit. We send a notive of violation, and a 10-30 day time to correct.

Looking at this pic, I have no guess on how this happened.

John
Don't get me started on Siding Guys... I've had to fix too many of their "Renovations"

Bill
G
That is certainly funny looking but since it really looks like POCO crimps and there is no bump out from the windows I am guessing the pipe goes to an LB on the inside wall. If the service disconnect was right there next to the window it is probably legal. I agree it would be worth a look inside if the owner would let you.

Greg Fretwell
Greg,

I went up to Nova Scotia a couple weeks ago for a Tour of Oak Island and spotted this in a nearby town.

My local POCO wouldn't easily allow something like this because of no outside Meter and possible theft of service concerns. I was wondering if the Utilities up north were less demanding and maybe more trusting.

Bill
Just guessing here but the head looks to be about ceiling height of the apartment. So, IF it LBs down to the required height for a meter and OCP, it must be in a room. That would not fly here, and I really doubt the CEC would allow unprotected conductors within a structure. I do not know if CEC has an "equal" to 2" concrete encasement as the NEC allows, but...inside a dwelling unit?

Where are our Canadian members who can shed some light

John
G
I had not thought of the metering aspect. Interesting tho. Is it possible the meter is on the pole?
As for the SE the only way I see it as legal is if the service disconnect is right there between the windows. I have to admit I have seen some distressingly long "nearest the point of entrance" SEs passed here in the US of A tho..

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

I copied the pic and zoomed in, the telco, or cable lines are drilled thru to the 2nd and 3rd floors also. Looks like a caulk patch around the pipe at the penetration also.

The building facade does not look real new, but the windows look like replacements compared to the sills.

Do we have any members in Nova Scotia??

John

Link Copied to Clipboard