ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
C
will Hong Kong change its...
Unsure. Safety Advisory Committee is discussing that topic.

[This message has been edited by Cn_HK (edited 10-28-2004).]

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
I think Hong Kong should stay with the existing British wiring standards.

Changing plug and wiring configurations only leads to confusion later on, especially when average folks have to start cutting off factory-molded plugs and screw new replacements on, or deal with dodgy adapters.

C
C-H Offline
Chinese sockets, in new work. The one on the left is ordinary 220V, the one on the right is 380V. According to the correspodent, the latter is better than the plug/sockets used in Europe as it allows you to swap phases easily. (I have a picture of the corresponding plug, but I think I can leave it to your imagination.)

[Linked Image from global-electron.com]

{Edited to correct image link}

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-09-2004).]

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
C-H:

The socket on the right looks similar to our 240-volt 50 amp sockets used for stoves here, except the horizontally oriented pin is replaced by a round one, for the ground.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-09-2004).]

T
Originally Posted by SvenNYC
C-H it is ungrounded.

Korean wiring doesn't use grounds or neutrals.

It is 220 volts across hot & hot [Linked Image]

Resurrecting this ancient thread because it still seems to be popular on the web.

According to all sources I've found, the Republic of Korea (South) migrated from a US system (120/240 V, 60 Hz, NEMA plugs) to 230/400 V 60 Hz using Schuko sockets starting in the 1970s. I've seen pictures of services that clearly indicated three phases plus neutral, supporting the 230/400 V claims. Sockets are regular German Schuko but designed to cram a double into an American box.

Here's the only one I've ever seen for sale online with (sort of) English description:
https://www.ebayshopkorea.com/itm/2...Outlet-Panel-EU-220V-KOREAN/222470620152

North Korea apparently also uses Schuko sockets but the mains frequency seems to be 50 Hz.

W
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
[quote=SvenNYC]

North Korea apparently also uses Schuko sockets but the mains frequency seems to be 50 Hz.

When I visited North Korea around 3 years ago they were using Chinese sockets.

T
Originally Posted by winston_1
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
[quote=SvenNYC]

When I visited North Korea around 3 years ago they were using Chinese sockets.

That's quite interesting! Seems that online sources are either outdated or plain wrong!

T
I recently watched a bunch of electrical videos from Romania and found some interesting things. Wiring practices are generally central European, DIN rail fuse boards, Diazed fuses in old installations, Schuko sockets, the lot. Wire colours are... interesting. Even the few videos I've watched show three clearly distinct systems. The oldest stuff seems to have black lives and white neutrals, no earths at all. New stuff seems to be the French take on harmonised colours, live/L1 mostly red, N blue, earth yellow/green. Then it gets funny though. Some of the slightly older wiring (1980s and 90s maybe) is L1 red, L2 yellow, L3 blue, N black, earth green, i.e. follows old British standards! There's a video that explains the two newer schemes but I don't understand enough to get whether the old British colours are still acceptable.

Romania might also be the last European or EU country that still uses 2.5 and 4 mm2 Al wire. Earths are required to be copper, leading to odd circuits like 2x2.5Al/1.5Cu for lighting and 2x4Al/2.5Cu for sockets (singles in conduit).

W
Just been to Egypt. Everywhere, private houses, hotels, even Nile cruise ships had 2 pin sockets. Pins 19mm apart 4.8mm dia European sizes. Only saw Schuko in the airport though whether they were earthed who knows.
However most electrical equipment has moulded Schuko plugs which were plugged in so not earthed. Pretty grim really.
Voltage was measured a tad under 240v and was live and neutral.

G
I went to Egypt about 15 years ago. Part of our tour was a visit to an Ethiopian village somewhere down past Aswan. I've no idea whether it was genuine or a set piece. It was fairly primitive, but it had electricity.
I saw a pair of thin wires I first took to be telephone coming to insulators on one of houses only about seven or eight feet from the ground near the doorway. I could easily have reached up to them!
Following their path, they were connected to fluorescent battens inside! There were also refrigerators and TVs but I couldn't see how power was distributed.
Another original installation I spotted was a street market lit by large pendants suspended straight off the overhead distribution cables connecting nearby buildings.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard