ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
I know it isn't legal but I bet a plumber would say if you prime that "spaflex" and shove it in a primed male adapter with the right cement, the threads would break before the joint did.
Do you see it and what do you say?
I understand the NEC never mentions primer and nobody wants to screw up the look of their job with purple dye but they make clear primer (Yellow can)
I can see the writing is gone.
Is it time to rethink how we paste pipe?

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg:

I follow your logic, and yes, I see pulled apart PVC occasionally. Lack of expansion fittings, etc. for reasons.

I was taught, 'wipe, glue (both ends) and push', and only the plumbing guys had to prime.

There's a pic of a riser pulled out of the MA on a meter pan floating around (ECM?), that seems to be a prime example of 'pull out', although there is no expansion joint visible in the pic. Now that I said this, IF the glue joint was 'stronger' (in the pic) would the MA threads fail, or would the meter pan be damaged??

Also, whats with the link to plumbing estimates in your post??

John
G
Plumbing estimates? Maybe talk to Bill about that. I didn't put anything in there but there are Ad apps that plug in spam based on language in a post. It may be your browser.

As for the pipe question, I was always curious why we don't prime the pipe? It really makes the joint pretty much as strong as the pipe itself. I do understand nobody wants to use purple primer but they do make clear.
I do understand the idea that maybe we want the joint to be the weakest link but that is saying we want exposed conductors in the winter doesn't it? (water fills the pipe when the snow melts etc)
Don't we inspect for expansion joints or the proper use of bends in the pipe to account for this?
That is why the straps are pretty loose, so the pipe can move. I was also taught not to strap too close to a bend, so that can take up the expansion and contraction. Maybe I am just old and cranky wink

Greg Fretwell
OK Greg, you are not old and cranky.

The link thing in your post is when I cursored over the plumber word. It is not happening here (home on my iPad now). Interesting with all the virus and security stuff the IT guru at work has, whatever it is got thru there.

I remember one continuing Ed course there was a PVC debate, and reading the mfg install paperwork there was no mention of primer, just wipe & glue. Primer was not mentioned directly, but the consensus was NO, and mfg does not have it in specs.

John
G
I guess plumbers are more worried about their pipe blowing open wink

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

The pop up links in your 3/11/19 at 4:32 PM are "plumbing estimates", "link" and "account". It only shows up here at work, not on my personal equipment.

John
G
Yup that is an ad program on your work computer. I don't remember what you do to kill it but somewhere in that popup should be a hint of what the program is. Then google that to get removal instructions.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard