ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#219800 11/29/18 01:01 AM
J
hi
anyone know of nec code on 100 amp wire if conduit is needed behind drywall?
i have been having quite the time with local inspectors, got most of it figured out. but the sticking point is 100 amp 3 wire sec feeder cable that runs up the inside of a garage wall to a apartment above the garage to a breaker box. my idea is a feeder cable that is protected with a 100 amp breaker and have wire clamps and no sch 40 or 80 conduit. but i wonder about cable protection, nails etc. so maybe pvc or a flexible conduit? comments please.

thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
SE cable is rated to be concealed even without conduit (NM rules article 334 rules for feeders. 338.10(B)(4) ) but the rub may be maintaining the 1.25" setback and sch40 PVC doesn't help there. They might want EMT sleeves or a bunch of metal plate protection. If you don't have the tools you can buy pre made sweeps for 1.5-2" EMT and that should make everyone happy.
You also lost your Reagan era grandfather as soon as you run new wire so this may need to be 4 wire SER as silly as that sounds. I wouldn't make you do that. (if we let grampa rock, we might as well let him roll.) wink

You do have a head scratcher there. So many different issues seem to come up but it is starting to look like you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Greg Fretwell
J
greg
thank you for helping a lot, i am beginning to see emt, i do have emt benders etc, i just like plastic better, i wish you were the ahj here! the three we have never agree and argue all the time. if i was not volunteering i would walk away. but the old vet that has the house needs it you know. again thanks for helping.

Link Copied to Clipboard