ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
rmiell Offline OP
1st question: what is purpose of using a high current GFI (Leviton #8895) with attached doughnut?
2nd question: Anyone have a replacement for this, as Leviton has discontinued it?
3rd question: Would a regular 20a GFCI work in a situation as follows?:
Control unit for a pond areator, installed 2013. 120vac power goes through GFI then to timer, hoa, motor contactor. Load from GFI goes through doughnut, as does the 240v power leads from contactor before going to areator motor, which is a submersible pump floating on a pond.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Miell

Am I missing something.....

Would not the 240 volt to the pump originate on a 2 pole GFI breaker?? And the control circuitry (120 volt) originate on a single pole GFI CB, or a 20 amp faceless GFI device??

IF the 120 volt, and the 240 volt pass thru the GF 'donut', soulds like it would not sense any GF conditions.

John
G
Just poking around on the interweb that looks like a 50a 2 pole GFCI. It shows up from spa retailers.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

With your electronics/electrical experience, if the setup the OP described, how would the GF function with the 240 volt, and a 120 volt circuit going 'thru the donut'.

Am I missing something?

John
G
I am not familiar with the design he describes but when you look for replacements you land on a garden variety 50 a 2 pole GFCI.

Greg Fretwell
T
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Greg:

With your electronics/electrical experience, if the setup the OP described, how would the GF function with the 240 volt, and a 120 volt circuit going 'thru the donut'.

Am I missing something?

I'm not familiar with the design but there is no reason why you couldn't design a 3-pole GFCI for 120/240 single-phase three-wire circuits. The design would be essentially identical to European four-pole RCDs. In fact one of those could be used for this application if the test resistor provides a sufficient current at 120 V. Regardless of the circuit design the sum of the currents passing the GFCI should be zero unless there's a fault to earth downstream.

R
rmiell Offline OP
Here is a link to the wiring diagram of the control panel: https://tinyurl.com/yaymjkvk (notice GFI in middle of picture, with 4 wires running through closed loop). No options installed on my installation.

Here is a link to the cut sheet for the 8895GFI: https://tinyurl.com/y8e2ywp9

Otterbine (mfg of control panel) offers a replacement kit to replace the Leviton GFI, which is obsolete now, so I will go that way. Just wanted to know the hows and whys of the original installation.

Thank you

Link Copied to Clipboard