ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Jules69 Offline OP
I have found MK MASTERSEAL PLUS 13A 2 GANG SWITCHED SOCKET (98279) £49 for each double - to protect sockets in pottery studio. Some sockets not being used.. is it safe to just put cover plate over and use silicone sealant on unused ones in area where wet spillage is likely? Setting up a new professional studio.

D
dsk Offline
I guess the best would be something like what you see on this page: https://goo.gl/s9yd5E GFCI (RCD) on each outlet will result in only a local switch off in case of a faulty device, but it may cost some more. (Not mutch more if this page has realistic pricing) Ebay: https://goo.gl/WNMdTj

As I know the UK system you have pretty heavy fuses, and use smaller fuses in each socket, it should have been the European standard!

Good luck from Norway!

dsk

T
In all honesty I wouldn't use BS1363 in a professional wet environment like that. How about blue CEE (caravan plug)? Obviously need to be on 16 amp radials instead of ring mains or 20 amp radials.

Silicone near electrical fittings is a bad idea if it's acid-curing silicone, the fumes eat up all copper.

I'm sorry, but we don't do DIY questions here at ECN, you need to engage the services of a qualified Electrician.
Even so, anything in a wet area needs to be permanently connected, with cable glands for the inlet and outlet sides and sealed to IP55 at least.

Silicone sealant is available in neutral-cure as well, Texas-Ranger, that acid stuff is only for roofing and sealing around plumbing exposures.

{I will lock this thread in 3 days}

Trumpy: I just locked this out, if it's OK with you. (John)

Last edited by HotLine1; 11/14/18 01:46 PM. Reason: add page info
D
djk Offline
The problem with BS1363 and wet areas is the plugs provide very poor hand-to-pin separation and can be a shock risk if handled with wet hands, particularly the rewardable varieties as there are live components very close to the plastic covers and small openings that can easily allow water penetration.

Similar issues apply with all residential plugs/sockets. They're just not suited to that kind of use.

CEEform i.e. IEC/BS/EN 60309 'commando' plugs are the best solution and you should have all of your final circuits protected by a 30mA RCD.

Last edited by djk; 11/14/18 08:29 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard