ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Somebody calling himself "Truth teller" (of all things) keeps endlessly, arrogantly, and rudely defending the so-called "suicide shower" units in the comment section on Big Clive's video exploring one -- even in the face of the evidence against him. laugh rolleyes

Last edited by LongRunner; 04/17/18 06:25 AM.
T
Weeeeell... the principle of these showers is tried and true and applied in many European countries. The point is a) that these countries usually have stringent regulations that govern water quality and thereby whether such a heater can safely be installed or not and b) the specific models of tankless electric shower heads sold in South America can be considered poor designs as they do not allow for the appropriately sealed connection of a double-insulated supply cable or flex. In less fancy terms they all seem to have two loose ends of single-insulated wire sticking out and pretty much the only way of connecting them to the supply is using some kind of flying splice secured to the water pipe. If they had a proper terminal box with glands and someone actually made sure they were only installed in places with sufficiently high-resistance water I don't see anything wrong with them. Reality differs though.

A
Theres a video by someone called GADGET ADDICT hes an English man now living in the philipines he installs and tests one if you Google him you should find it. He has another video called 110 volts without a transformer which shows some decidedly iffy techniques you can use at least in metro manila

L
Yeah, I've seen Gadget Addict's demonstration too. I'm still not filled with confidence in them, though; even if I don't get electrocuted (in a "proper" installation), it bothers me that they have such a powerful (and compact) element, sitting against plastic, with no thermal cut-outs. crazy

At least fan heaters make an attempt to be fail-safe, even if not all succeed at that...

But the funniest thing, to me, is how TT kept butchering his own maths. smirk

D
djk Offline
That looks potentially lethal no matter how you use it.

T
Whoa, welcome back Dave! Long time no see!

I'm fairly sure that instant showers for the UK market aren't much different, this thing even has a flow switch, although a slightly iffy one.

Link Copied to Clipboard