ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
For you sparkies that have worked on a lot of old K&T was it ever a common (no pun intended) or acceptable practice to switch the neutral?

H
Brian,

Yes it was. I can't tell you how many times I told my men to be careful when working on K&T wiring. The switches were on the neutral side. There were splices made inside the walls and ceilings, there were no splice boxes on them either. Everything was soldered and taped and you couldn't install insulation around the wires. Most of all, there wasn't a grounding conductor. I have also seen people hang wet cloths on the K&T wire in the basement.

Harold

F
yeah it is very common with old t&k wires with switched nueutrale lines that the reason it is a pain in the butt when to repair t&k stuff and igenrally tell them to replace with more modren stuff it is alot more safer to boot 70 % of my time i find t&k wires are allready history due hevey overloading like some personalles like to put 30 amp plug fuse insted of 15 or 20 amps that the reason i am not too crazy with this one

merci marc

(p.s. it is the same way with old french wires too )

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

B
Hello Brian,

One thing I have found to be very useful when work with K&T is one of those hand held voltage testers. The ones that look like a pen and glow and/or buzz when they get near voltage. Where it really helps is when you are replacing a fixture and both wires look the same. Just point it at the wire and you know immediately which is hot and which is not.

E
CAREFUL BRIAN, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH NON-CONTACT TESTERS BECAUSE THEY BUZZ OR LIGHT FOR THE NEUTRAL. USE AN IDEAL 61050 CONTACT TESTER.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks for the info guys. I have seen some K&T but the job were on now has it still in use and with switched neutrals. I thought I had heard this before about the switched neutrals. Thanks for the tip EVAD7 on the tester I know what you mean.
Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard