ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#219375 05/24/18 09:22 AM
K
Getting older and arthritis is becoming a problem.
Any one got any ideas on internet income opportunities?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
I know there is a shortage of Electrical Inspectors up here, but that may not help you down in the Sunshine State.

Years back I made the decision to invest the time and $$ to take inspectors courses (mandatory here) and take the required tests. I put the licenses in my wallet, did the CEUs, paid the renewal fees, and waited. I took a P/T insp position, which led to FT when I decided to hang up the tools and close the business.

Just a suggestion from the Garden State.

Perhaps Greg has some input?

John
G
You pretty much have to get an inspector's license. Go to the DBPR site for what they want to see these days (I got mine 25 years ago). If you are not very familiar with finding your way around the NEC, the test may be tough but if you get comfortable in there it is a breeze. That will go a long way toward getting hired although there are ways to get a provisional license if you are working for a municipality. I suspect the best opportunities these days may be with new towns starting their own building departments but you can call around and see how the county and the big cities are fixed. Building is really picking up down in my neck of the woods (Lee County) and I know they have an inspector retiring as we speak.

Greg Fretwell
S
I'm in my 60's & slowing down a tad, i'm also IAEI certified

I've thought about working for the state as an AHJ & have had a number of spark aquaintences that have done so

I just feel that, i'm far to gulible ~S~

Home Inspector?

Bill
~s~
OK, you admitted your age group and that you’re starting to slow up a little. And, a few guys you know Moved on to the ‘other side’ as AHJs.

The best advice I could share is when you think it’s time to put down the tools, and you want to stay productive in some form, the AHJ thing is not too bad a choice. IMHO, it beats going ‘retail’ or just hanging around if you can financially.

Steady paycheck, benefits (possible), holidays, and vacation time. No chasing ‘money’, basically steady hours, and holidays off mostly.

The Home Inspector gig here is a State License, and most are self employed AFAIK. That may be a good field, for those who prefer to not have a ‘boss’.

As I said before, down here there is a shortage of inspectors basically for all trades, both Full and Part Time. I’m doing 1 town PT steady for 4 yrs., and ‘as-need’ PT in another town.

And, all this time I thought you were one of the 30 somethings.!!

John
S
Originally Posted by HotLine1
~s~
OK, you admitted your age group and that you’re starting to slow up a little. And, a few guys you know Moved on to the ‘other side’ as AHJs.

The best advice I could share is when you think it’s time to put down the tools, and you want to stay productive in some form, the AHJ thing is not too bad a choice. IMHO, it beats going ‘retail’ or just hanging around if you can financially.

Steady paycheck, benefits (possible), holidays, and vacation time. No chasing ‘money’, basically steady hours, and holidays off mostly.

yeah, but i'd have to close my doors as an EC

[quote]The Home Inspector gig here is a State License, and most are self employed AFAIK. That may be a good field, for those who prefer to not have a ‘boss’.

There's no cert or license required for an HI in my state, which means i'll be competing with the ' double tap' contingent

Most don't even know who NACHI is

As I said before, down here there is a shortage of inspectors basically for all trades, both Full and Part Time. I’m doing 1 town PT steady for 4 yrs., and ‘as-need’ PT in another town.

and w/o any of you (EI's), there'd be none of us (EC's)

And, all this time I thought you were one of the 30 somethings.!!

I wish

but thx anyways

~S~

S
One (gawd help me) of my retirement aspirations is giggin' out
There's not a whole lot of $$$ in it (unless your really good) , but one can fill the fridge w/ a weeks full of eats for one night out

here's a couple of vids from an older (now defunct) band , I've moved on to greener 'musical' pasture

https://youtu.be/2WeEtkFBIvg

https://youtu.be/nhX2WYfctR8

https://youtu.be/J1BsYjW9SzU

i'm the dude in the gay shirt smile

~S~

Thanks ~s~

John
K
why don't you try some alternative income opportunities like online marketing stuffs. There are many peoples earning handsome income from home (perfect for your age). You can find many information on how to make money using marketing strategies like affiliate marketing or starting your own tutorial membership site. Its a good source of recurring income.

Link Copied to Clipboard