ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I am sure that is true too. Most of the guys in commercial are pretty good around here but anyone with a rusty pair of Kliens and a mouth full of wire nuts can get a job wiring 1&2 family right now.

Greg Fretwell
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Going back to a comm site this AM, walking thru the service/fire corridors, I glance up at the open ceiling. "Open" as it has no drop ceiling; open to the underside of the roof deck.

"Hey, what's that orange extension cord coming out between the cover and the 4' Sq.???"

Reply: "Don't have a clue, but it goes over the ceiling in the telco equipment room"

OK, time to call the property manager.

At least they put the cover back on the 4" Sq.

The 'work' that happens after I leave......

Last edited by HotLine1; 04/30/18 12:47 PM.

John
G
That is usually the fire marshal/Life Safety inspector who gigs stuff like that. Some look pretty hard, others need to trip over the cord to catch it.
I know when I was living in the office world, a "new sheriff in town" struck fear in the heart of the building manager, particularly if the last guy was "loose". All sorts of sins are going on inside cubicles and above T bar ceilings.

Greg Fretwell
An old saying...

'Drop ceilings (T-bar) hide a multitude of sins'

No truer words were ever spoken, after the 'above ceiling inspection'

I love seeing the data/comm or alarm guys on a job, after I approved 'above ceiling', with their fish sticks!! Hey, what are you guys doing??.

John
G
They really got serious about looking above the T bar right about the time I got away from my office job but it was not a big deal for us because they moved out shortly after I left. The Fire Marshal was climbing up and lifting a tile. If he saw anything laying on the tiles, any cables that were not at least riser rated (assuming no air return up there, then it was plenum), "orange cords" etc you got a citation. That did get things cleaned up a little. When someone noticed the "surge protector" exception to plug strips, everything was a surge protector. Sometimes I wondered if it was just a sticker but I assume they shoved a 5 cent MOV in there.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

"Some look pretty hard, others need to trip over the cord to catch it. "

That is a true statement up here also. The citations that the fire guys write are pretty steep ($$$), but......

The 'clean up' happens when there is a renovation!!

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard