ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#219206 03/19/18 08:19 PM
R
Rabbit Offline OP
OK I know it's been years since I posted here, been crazy.

I was called last week to price correcting a few code violations. Yeah.

2.5 acres of greenhouse equipped with all European components. Transfer switch, panels, frequency inverter, control panels, actuator motors and literally miles of cable.

AHJ is balking on all of it including 60 kw back-up generator. No UL listings. This was all purchased as a package and the previous contractor hooked to it without a permit. (I know)

Anyone had any experience with something like this? I,m guessing close to six figures to fix this.

The owner is considering buying an electric driven generator, so technically the systems will be off grid. Yes I'm serious.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Rabbit #219207 03/20/18 12:06 AM
G
On grid or off grid, you still have to meet the code the AHJ enforces.
If the MG set (electrically driven generator) is connected to the grid, it is a grid tied system anyway, just a separately derived system, similar to going through a transformer. Make sure you follow the SDS rules, mostly grounding issues.
As for the listing, or lack thereof, you may be stuck if you are not willing to have it evaluated. My guess is new equipment might end up being cheaper than that process.
First be sure it was not listed by one of the European NRTLs recognized here (TUV is probably the only one)
The CE mark is pretty meaningless in this discussion. It is a totally different standard.

Greg Fretwell
Rabbit #219208 03/20/18 07:33 AM
A few thoughts,

One step would be contacting UL, or any other testing/certification agency to determine the costs to have this equipment certified.

As Greg mentioned, check the equipment for any labels/listings.

After determining the cost to have it certified, compare with cost to replace.

A recent UL field cert for equipment here was about $20k when all was said and done. This client was aware that the equipment was NOT UL when it was purchased, and was not too concerned of the cost.

John
Rabbit #219209 03/20/18 06:02 PM
G
I am not sure how field evaluation works but we had a guy at one of our contractor seminars who was making some of the first generation salt water pool chlorine generators and he said U/L was horrendous. They kept blowing up his prototypes and asking for more. This was destructive testing. I assume field evaluation of existing equipment is not like that.

Greg Fretwell
Rabbit #219210 03/20/18 08:23 PM
R
Rabbit Offline OP
Thanks everyone. Invaluable advise. Promise to come around more.

Rabbit #219211 03/22/18 09:08 AM
Greg:
RE: The field eval mentioned in my above post...

It was three packaging machines, for a large on-line operation. These exact machines were previously installed (and field tested) at their other area locations. Three (3) locations in an adjacent town.

The field evaluation was a multi day operation, and labels were affixed. Units were 480 volt, 3 phase, plug-in, and 120/20 amp plug-in.

I was not present during the cert, but got copies to put in the job files. Foreman said it was "painless".

John
Rabbit #219213 03/24/18 02:10 AM
G
Field tested by a NRTL?
I suppose a lot depends on what they are testing. If this is assembled from U/R parts and they are only looking at the assembly methods it should not be that complicated but if the actual equipment is foreign and never evaluated at the component level there is no way the field test can be as extensive as the lab test. I have to say, I have only heard people talk about this. I never actually watched it.
OTOH, under a lot of pressure, I did certify a lot of stuff at the Ca D Zan (Ringling Mansion/Museum) in Sarasota without any protocols in place at all. This was antique equipment and for the most part I just assumed if it had not burned up in the last 70 years, it would last 70 more wink
I mostly was looking at the condition of the insulation, security of the attachments, chafing and other hardware issues. A lot of this was restored under supervision of the engineering firm the state hired. When possible they used listed components and modern fixture wire but the things you could see were original.
The guy I worked for in Tallahassee just told me "make sure it is safe" when I asked him what my job was.
It may have been the most interesting thing I have done in any of my careers.

Greg Fretwell
Rabbit #219215 03/26/18 03:45 PM
Greg:

AFAIK, this is equipment made in the USA, and was custom modified for the client. This client has the same equipment in 3 other centers here in NJ.

I agree with you about "make sure it's safe"

John
Rabbit #219216 03/27/18 07:16 AM
G
I agree with Greg...make sure it's safe.
The fact that something has been done the same way previously doesn't guarantee that it's right.

NASA showed us a great example of that with the Challenger space shuttle.

Ghost307

Link Copied to Clipboard