ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Artifex #219134 02/05/18 08:34 AM
G
Sparky - I agree completely.
I have known of instances where the GC knew that they screwed up and just stuck a short piece of rebar in the slab; claiming that it was properly bonded to the rest of the rebar.
Without demolishing all of the concrete or acquiring X-ray vision there's no way to know unless a qualified EC put their Mark One eyeball on things before the pour.

Ghost307
Artifex #219135 02/05/18 02:35 PM
G
That is why Florida added it to the footer inspection. There needs to be a #4 copper coming up or a green painted rebar for the turn up method. There is some question whether a concrete guy is "qualified" to put an acorn on tho.
Most of them seem to figure it out and fortunately it is the only kind of acorn they have so it is usually the one listed for rebar, buried in concrete..

Greg Fretwell
Artifex #219136 02/06/18 07:43 AM
S
I'm still working on that Xray thing here Ghost ,and i should be so lucky as to be privy to such all inclusive inspection process Greg.

When the timing works out, i've made onto the grids before the 'crete is poured, but that is not as often as it should be.

And then there's other considerations. Was it all over some plastic or hard insulation barrier? How much of it all really makes earth contact?

When i'm trying to pass inspection, it there a way to prove it's efficacy , short of one of those expensive Fluke meters?

~S~

Artifex #219137 02/07/18 12:25 AM
G
They are saying if visqueen is present on a footer, it only goes up the sides, the bottom of the concrete is directly in the dirt. Typically there is none anyway. On a momoslab, the visqueen stops at the footer portion of the pour.. They only form the perimeter and they leave the forms up for a week or two so the concrete does not dry out before in is mostly cured, then they back fill pretty much right away. I think the Ufer became so important here because it is really the best electrode available and the building officials are really serious about making sure it is available. Rods are really pretty useless unless you can drive to ground water. This got to be a real issue at the trade groups around here about 15 years ago and there was a sort of Ufermania. The feeling was it "shall be made available" instead of just being used if it "is" available.The cost ends up being less than 2 rods and the hardware so the builders were happy. The compression of building departments after the crash of 08-9 left a whole lot of multi discipline inspectors so the structural guy doing the footer inspection also carries an electrical certification. Guys were usually retained based on how many licenses they held. I have been getting away from all of this so I am not sure how it is going now that they are staffing up again. Hopefully they are teaching the structural guys the principles of the Ufer electrode and they are still being as diligent about being sure it is present when sparky comes along.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard