ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
30mA, generally (though 10mA RCD outlets are available for medical applications). At least 2 RCDs are required in an Australian home, and each RCD may feed a maximum of 3 subcircuits.

Normally we use the Multiple Earthed Neutral system (similar to Protective Multiple Earthing in the UK), which does not require a main RCD as used with TT systems.

S
Thx LongRunner

I gotta keep referencing these earthing systems you folks are talking about ,so bear with me.

So, if you're using 30ma RCD's , are they now going to be marketed as 30ma afci RCD's?

~S~

U
hmm, reading some snippets from the upcoming new regulations here in the UK, it looks like we are going to have to deal with the horrors that are AFCIs here very soon!

S
Ok Uksparx, i'm going to let you in on the dirty little afci secret. They are no more than what your RCD's already are. AFCI technology is based on time honored toroidal coils

This is the heart of your RCD's

No matter how much electronica one places in line with a toroidal, it will all only sense what a toroidal can sense

Our testing labs devised a 15KV 'simulator' , which energized a piece of zip (lamp) cord , with a cut in it AND wrapped in flammable tape to pass a 'series arc' test here

The rest is afci "combination" history

I would like to think your country has a tad more integrity in it's validation of consumables

~S~

T
No, there are no combined RCD/AFDD devices as far as I know, the DIN rail AFDDs are in series with an RCD where RCD protection is required.
According to a Siemens representative quite a few high-load circuits won't ever see AFDD protection since it's technically impossible to design a three-phase AFDD and most significant household appliances (cooker, tankless water heater) are three-phase loads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard