ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#218857 11/21/17 10:05 PM
J
Hello. Im building an electrical panel that has the following drives, 1) 200 hp drive, 1) 100 hp drive, 1) 60 hp drive, 2) 15 hp drives. The customer doesn’t have the power on his bus to handle this load. The customer is going to place a indivual disconnect for the 3 larger drives. These 3 disconnects are in 1 panel and it will be attached to the side of the panel I’m currently building. I was asked to just put the large drives and lugs for the input and output and connect the drives to “just” lugs. No other circuit protection will be supplied by us. I believe that there are several code violations in building this. I am not familiar enough with nec to show the owner why this isn’t to code. Please help. Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
You can pretty much start in article 240 and everything you read will say conductors have to be protected at their ampacity.
If you are just using this panel as a junction box with no over current protection, all conductors down stream will have to be sized to the last over current device serving that feeder.
I think I would leave skid marks in the driveway getting away from this job unless they are willing to do it right and provide proper power to this load.

Greg Fretwell
Y
Article 430 covers OCP ect for motors.
Page 70-323 Figure 430.1 Well tell you where to look.

J
That’s for all the help. I left the company, I unit I wire was correct. The 2nd unit all I did was install the drives to the sudpanel, nothing was wired. I’m concerned about plant personal safety but at this stage there’s little I can do.

Link Copied to Clipboard