ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Just today, I came upon a homeowner suicide setup. Nice compliant inlet, interlock on panel, done by lic. EC. The HO had to show me his 'used it for years' setup. 10 Ga rubber cord, twistlock modified to fit the 'new' gen, and the good old dryer plug to backfeed his panel. "I just turn the main off, and put tape on it'!!

Last edited by HotLine1; 10/16/17 07:22 PM.

John
G
That was what I saw a lot of here. Most worked OK but one had some real strange stuff going on and I just loaned him a bunch of cords. He told me he smoked the satellite box, the fridge would only run with 2 branch circuit breakers on and he had other issues. It sure sounded like a neutral problem to me and I did not want to own a bit of it.
I think some of these problems may be simply because some generators ground the neutral and some don't. If your dryer cord is only connected to the generator ground, the neutral floats.
I really hope I talked a few of these people into some kind of transfer equipment, even if it was just the panel interlock device. I do have my neighbor next door on board.
Then they could run a real 4 wire feed into a back feed breaker (with a clip) and be somewhat legal with the interlock.
At that point you should lift the bonding jumper in the generator. (Non-SDS) I am not sure it is life threatening tho if you didn't and it might actually be more dangerous when you are using cords.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard