ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
Has anyone done this? It seems like it should work but I am willing to hear some actual experience.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg,
That would depend on the distance that you were looking to send that audio, would it not?
I see there are a heap of "adapters" now that allow you to send pretty much anything over Cat5 wire.
These are powered units so you'd think there would be some sort of amplification/attenuation in there.

C
Line level audio on a cat-5 cable system is very simple-- pick a pair, hook an audio source to it, hook the same pair to the destination input. Broadcast radio has been doing it for several years. Here is a link for one manufacturer of audio to cat-5 components.

http://www.studiohub.com/

Here is a page that has pinouts of their system:

http://www.studiohub.com/PDF/PinoutGuidewithAdapters.pdf

G
what do you have with isolation transformers in it (multiple connections and different circuits)

Greg Fretwell
C
We used this wiring in a radio broadcast studio. There were no isolation transformers, just ran the wiring from point to point between devices (receivers, distribution amps, mixing consoles, etc.) We used shielded cat 5 wiring, the audio sources were balanced line level.

Telephone networks have been running line level audio on twisted pair for many decades.

J

G
Originally Posted by cableguy619
...the audio sources were balanced line level...

That's the key to what makes it work. Audio source and destination equipment MUST be balanced. Stuff that's unbalanced must be made so with transformers or balanced-to-unbalanced amplifiers.

I helped wire a four-station cluster in 2006. Audio interconnects between studios and the rack room were made with overall-shielded 25-pair CAT5 cables. AES/EBU digital audio was sent over the same cables, since the impedance of AES audio gear (110-ohm for the balanced version) is essentially the same as CAT5 cable.

Last edited by grich; 11/26/13 07:58 PM.
sound or voice over IP is best
use sip or bonjour

D
dsk Offline
Back in the old days we did it with lo quality lines over huge distances, we called it telephony. One of the main issues is to get the right impedance, close to 600 ohms seems to turn out well. (impedance, not resistance!)

dsk

G
I was told by one of my engineer buddies that audio might as well be DC at the distances we are usually dealing with. Even 20khz (that I can't hear) will have a wavelength of almost a mile so I am not sure you will see any problems.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard