ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#218555 06/23/17 11:16 AM
S
#4/3 SER cable is to be run from inside panel in the "interior" of the home ceiling, til it comes out under their deck ceiling that is to be enclosed. The ceiling will be enclosed probably with aluminum or vinyl, but not the walls. My opinion, since it will be enclosed, is that I can still run the SER in the ceiling area until I come down to the "Spa panel" then protect it with pvc conduit. The ceiling will be enclosed, thereby making it a "dry" location. What's your thoughts? Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I am confused. I don't see "dry" entering into it at all. SER is a wet location wiring method and conduit does not make anything dry (you can't use a dry wiring method in a wet location and say it is dry now).

The conduit is mainly for protection from physical damage. As long as you follow the Romex rules about setback from the face of framing members in the ceiling I agree that is not subject to damage

All that said I do not see a problem with your plan.

Greg Fretwell
S
I'm sorry, I guess I meant to say 6/3 romex, because I need a copper equipment ground to meet the requirements for interior wiring to an outside hot tub.
Was going to use 4/3 SERVICE but it don't have a copper equipment ground,. (at least around my area I can't get it in copper).
Thanks

Sounds OK as you described it. You may have a 'debate' IF you sleeve the NM as you stated 'down to the spa panel'. Some may consider that it is NOT a 'dry' location. To avoid this 'debate' you may consider a suitable j-box (accessible), terminate the NM, and switch to THHN/THWN building wire to the spa panel.

Just a suggestion to avoid any 'debate'.

John
G
Typically they run this feeder in RNC the whole way and pull THHN/THWN in. I suppose if your electrical supply has it, you could use smurf tube in the dry location with a transition to RNC but it needs to be at least 1" for that wire load.
I agree with John, the Romex outside may be a problem, even in pipe.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

Yes, typical is PVC all the way with THHN/THWN. Some are NM, a few MC with a swap to PVC as required.

The 'heads up' on the NM, was just to hopefully prevent an issue and possible red tag. BTW, I always used to hate doing something twice.

John
in my area (N.Y. Suffolk County) we have to use UF. We Can't sleeve romex in a wet location.

Richard:

Are you sleeving for physical protection, or ???

John
S
Thanks for all the post. I have decided to just run 8/3 romex with ground to a junction box before it goes outside, then run thhn in the conduit out to the hot tub disconnect. That way no problems that I see that way. .Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard