ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
So, a couple issues here. One is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check phase-to-phase voltage on every wire before you do a closed transition. I can't tell you how many times we've had to stop a project and move wires around because of this. Checking rotation alone isn't enough. This, however, only applies while the UPS is in bypass. Attempting to close the tie while the UPS is online effectively results in the UPS powering it's own input (at best) or a phase mismatch and blown-up UPS (at worst). I still hear horror stories from the latter happening on a 400kVA system about 20 years ago at one of the sites I work with. Most UPS will sync to the bypass source so that static bypass is always instantly available, but they can lose sync under some conditions, like low input frequency or voltage. Bottom line, there must be an interlock in-place to prevent closing of the tie breakers unless the UPS is in bypass and as you've not mentioned it, I'm concerned you don't have this? Most UPS will have relays you can use to connect a solenoid key release to for use with a kirk key interlock system. Otherwise, the system can only do an open transition. At the very least, lock out those tie breakers so they can't ever be used.

Splitting the neutral like that is not necessarily an issue, but you need to ensure the ground fault protection relays are properly set or it can result in nuisance tripping. High unbalanced current levels from the split can also result in inductive raceway heating. There are special differential ground fault relays you can use for complicated configurations like this. Also, 4P breakers fix the issue, but be careful using them with UPS as many modern UPS require a solid neutral-ground bond and can fail offline even on battery during open transition transfer if that bond is lost and the neutral is left to float.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 05/26/17 05:34 PM.
Potseal Offline OP
Steve, I appreciate the feedback.

The tie-breakers are currently locked-out and will be locked-out after the UPS is brought online.

I double-checked with one of my co-workers who has been communicating directly with the electrical contractor, project supervisor, electrical engineer, and the company that is responsible for suppling and commissioning the UPS whether this will be a closed or open transition. He believes it will be open.

The UPS does have a Kirk Key interlock system. This interlock system, as it pertains to the UPS, was explained briefly by the equipment provider a couple months ago and I do not recall the details. Once it is up and running I'm sure we will be given the standard basic training on the equipment but I do not know to what extent our involvement will be.

Next week I will have more details on the UPS and let everyone know how everything shakes out.

BTW, that is interesting information regarding the neutrals and the GFCI protection.

Last edited by Potseal; 05/27/17 12:18 AM.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Potseal Offline OP
Late getting back to this but i can say all went well with the UPS being brought online. We even did a test by switching to emergency generator power to see how the UPS would respond during the switch over - no problem.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard