ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Am i correct in saying that a 3 wire can be run to a dryer or range as long as it is run from the 1st set of Mains at the meter?
Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Before 96 or so that is how it worked. The theory is if the neutral lands on the same bus as the GEC, it is ground. Once you get a ways down a feeder neutral is not ground anymore. Phil Simmonds pointed out that neutral is not ground on the load end of a branch circuit either and he got his change accepted. He said "The war is over" wink

Greg Fretwell
What Greg said is how it was back then

We have an amendment within the NJ adopted version of the NEC that allows it still today, IF it's a replacement appliance, AND the mfg installation paperwork does not accept it. That said, 99.9% of the guys install a 4 wire feeder for appliances. (Period)

John
G
The ironic thing is most of these I saw prior to 96 were still installed with 3 wire w-g Romex and they either clipped off the ground or bonded to to the box with the neutral landing on the 3 prong receptacle. Putting in the 4 prong might be as simple as just swapping it out.

Greg Fretwell
S
No,this one is around 50 or 60 years old. Range wire was old #6/3 with insulation cracking at range outlet terminals, not to mention a jumper off it of 14/2 feeding a dryer on the opposite side of wall:( and another jumper off of one leg feeding a 120 volt outlet behind the range:( Needless to say, after the feeder going through the brick outside blew up and started smoking, I'm changing the service. What a nightmare it started out to be, but it's taking shape now. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow. Got her some temporary power for tonight. Never a dull moment in electrical work.

Link Copied to Clipboard