ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
JimL Offline OP
I need some help verifying when a specific code section was adopted. Specifically, I am trying to find out when the requirement to have a wall switched light or outlet were adopted under 210.70.

I tried looking on-line for older versions of the NEC but didn't have much luck... and I need the written reference to settle a disagreement among "professionals".

Thanks for any pointers.

G
Before my time. It exists in the 75 code, oldest one I have as 210-26. In 1990 they made it 210.70 and in 93 they added the garage door.

Greg Fretwell
J
JimL Offline OP
Greg:

Thanks, that's enough for me then. The issue would be predating early 80's here... 1975 would cover that.

Greg:
I'll check if I have any NECs before '75 when I get to the office tomorrow.

From my younger days, I know we always did a switch controlled lighting outlet in resi. Back to mid '60s, but I don't know if it was 'code' or part of the jobs.

John
G
I lived most of my early childhood (age 6-19) in a house built for us in 1953 and we had switched lighting outlets in every room but it was built to "GI Bill" standards in DC where that meant something. We even had a breaker panel and grounded Romex. (fiber jacket 16ga ground). One of my first electrical projects was helping my dad switching all of the receptacles from 1-15 to 5-15, using that 16ga grounding wire. They were even polite enough to leave enough pigtailed in the box to hook up the 5-15 although it wasn't the full 6".
Somebody at work gave him a couple boxes of them before they were really known by most people in the country. The Navy was supposed to evaluate them. We had 5-15s long before we had anything to plug in them smile

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I lived most of my early childhood (age 6-19) in a house built for us in 1953 and we had switched lighting outlets in every room but it was built to "GI Bill" standards in DC where that meant something. We even had a breaker panel and grounded Romex. (fiber jacket 16ga ground). One of my first electrical projects was helping my dad switching all of the receptacles from 1-15 to 5-15, using that 16ga grounding wire. They were even polite enough to leave enough pigtailed in the box to hook up the 5-15 although it wasn't the full 6".
Somebody at work gave him a couple boxes of them before they were really known by most people in the country. The Navy was supposed to evaluate them. We had 5-15s long before we had anything to plug in them smile

The house I grew up in, in Santa Ana, CA, sounds very similar, right down to the 16 AWG grounded romex (Actually it was a funky shimmery green sheathed "Paranite - Parasyn" Built in 1958, There were P&S 5-15 outlets in the bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and garage, using metal boxes and the "stove bolt". Everywhere else, the grounds were simply crimped together. I broke the crimps and added a pigtail and new crimp when I changed out all the 1-15s (and 2-15's which were at all the half hot locations in the bedrooms and living room.) to 5-15 Decora's. My grandmother thought she was highfalutin with her new 3 prong Decora outlets laugh

Just an FYI, I still come upon a few houses that have 1-15 receptacles. I told the resi CCO inspectors that do 'resales' to judge the 'age' of the house/basement, to use this as a tool.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard