ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
What software do you use if you don't mind me asking?

COOKCC
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Sorry, I guess should of continue Reading I just downloaded the demo I'll see high works for me.

COOKCC
T
The heart of day to day bidding is materials pricing.

EPIC is a pricing service that is pretty popular. Strictly speaking, it's not a bid creating machine, it's a well maintained database.

The BIGGEST element in a correct bid is your labor. This turns on how slick you are in saving time, and your rate of compensation.

Generally speaking, ECs underprice their bids. Then they're out of business -- to be replaced by fresh victims -- who repeat the cycle.

&&&

At this time, it's a pretty good bet that ECs are under bidding, under charging for PV arrays. Many of the expenses are going to pop-up in the out months, the out years. The EC will still be on the hook -- liabilities wise -- while the revenue from new work will have collapsed.

This is what's happended in Spain, Germany,... and Europe.

The players scaled up in a segment that was so uneconomic that it destroyed the national budget.

Would you believe that Spain was accepting solar juice at $ 0.58 per kW-Hr? And in scale? Wholesale? shocked

Once these rates were passed on through to the rate payers, the economy folded up. While the big firms could, and did, get special exemptions; all of the small firms had to pay full boat. Their power bills destroyed their businesses.

Naturally enough, all of the Spanish ECs that had been installing these arrays saw their action evaporate -- overnight, too. cry

&&&

Which is another way of saying, stay within a niche that is not utterly dependent on politics or this or that tax break. You usually end up having the rug pulled out from underneath you. Changes, contractions, are impossible to plan for. Typically your entire equity is at risk -- when your last batch of clients can't pay their tabs.

%%%

So, you should put some sugar in your bids for errors, uncollectables, price shifts, etc. You can't bid truly tightly and survive.

A LOT of the cheesy work that we see posted here at ECN was the direct result of a low bid. This drives small businessmen/ tradesmen to cut corners -- even stupidly -- because the pressure is on.

Almost never totted up: the time required to mobilize and de-mobilize at a job. It's the kind of labor consumption that fades in the memory.

Towards correcting that, buy a cheap stop watch or two. Then punch them active when you begin -- and clock them when you're done. The figures will be eye-opening.

Sorry, no bidding program can spit such figures out.

Tesla
T
http://www.visioninfosoft.com/products/electrical/epic/pricing/

There are others, but EPIC has quite a following.

Tesla
E
You need to consider things like: labour, materials and the type of job.

I remember my journeyman going over, and over, and over the details of every job, trying to get the bid just right.

Eventually, after driving us all nuts, he'd finally be satisfied and submit it.

Sometimes he'd get the job. Sometimes a bigger outfit (who am I kiddin' - everyone was bigger than us) would come in and get the job. It would make him crazy because he couldn't fathom how the competition could...oh, they bought the job. How did know that? He was pretty good at getting detailed information on bids that was meant to be confidential.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard