ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
I've got a customer that wants their T12 florescent lights put on a dimmer. I've found out through my supplier that the ballast will have to be changed, tubes changed to T8's. Also found out by the specs on the dimming ballast that an extra wire will have to be pulled from the dimmer to the lights. Also in the specs, it said that the fixture ends may not be suitable, so I'm looking at just changing out the fixtures all together for a LED dimmable or Florescent dimmable. I imagine I will still have to pull the extra wire ( according to the wiring instructions per fixture I guess). Anyone have any suggestions. Seems like the LED option might be best.
Thanks.

B
I don't know if these are available in the US, but I've had good experiences with the products from this company.

http://rabdesign.ca/product/cpl-led/

Hope this help.

G
RAB reps show up at our trade organization lunches just about every time. They have a very extensive line of LED products that they are pitching.

Greg Fretwell
A lot of variables when it comes to upgrading lights.
For example, we replaced almost a hundred 2x4 and 2x2 lay-in fluorescent fixtures (T12 and T8) with LED in a lab area. Some staff complained that it was too bright especially for those looking at computer monitors. It sounded like dimmer control would be needed. A week later I removed 3 fixtures to darken a couple of areas. A month after that the lab supervisor told me that nobody was complaining anymore. Apparently everyone now appreciated the brighter work area and needed time to adjust.
I mention this example because we could've rushed ahead and spent a lot of time and money for dimmer control that wasn't needed.
Not sure what your client's situation is but I find a lot of options need to be weighed before decisions are made.
Btw, the sockets for old T12's need to be changed to shunted sockets when upgrading to new electronic T8 ballasts.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Replacement LED fixtures are gaining more popularity, over the retrofit kits into existing fixture bodies. I see a lot within both office space renovations, and warehouse lighting.

The changes in LED technology is amazing. I particularly like the 2x2, and 2x4 lay ins that are the thickness of a ceiling tile, and have a super even illumination appearance.

Yes, there are dimmable LEDs, in the 'higher end' offices, and conference rooms.

PS: Over 5000 assorted LEDs going into a new distribution center, with more to follow. It's a 1,000,000 SF bldg., with a 750k SF Mezz.

John
B
Just thought that I would pass this along...

I was at a trade show last week and one manufacturer was telling me that in less than a month, that 1x4, 2x2 and 2x4 lay-ins will be available that will operate on 120V to 347V and everything in between.
The neat thing is these will have switches on the back of them for wattage (brightness) and colour.
I would think that if one manufacturer has them, then they all will very soon.

Cheers... Bruce

V
Good to see that they are coming out with more options. I'm sure the price will come down once more manufacturer pick them up like you state.

I worked at a house a few weeks ago where the owner had a dimmer switch in the kitchen and they had recently replaced bulbs with CFL bulbs. I told them CFL are known to be a fire hazard with dimmers but they ignored my concerns. I guess they don't really use the dimmer anyways but I still gave them my professional option. Hopefully they don't have any issues.

T
twh Offline
I suspect that LED lights are designed so that when they fail, we have to replace the whole fixture. A 5 year warranty is nice, but means less if we can't repair the light. Edison base lights lasted through incandescent, CFL and, now, LED. I don't see that life span being possible with the new fixtures.

Is it planned obsolescence and we won't be able to buy the same style light in a few years?

How are we going to explain to our customers that if they want their lights to match, they need to replace them all?

twh:

Me being in the inspection end of our trade, I have not thought of your point.

I guess that the driver unit could (?) be replaced, and the tubes (lamps) should (?) be available in the future.

I guess in this throw away society that we live in, perhaps it is planned obsolescence.

Also, with the various mfg warranties, who is to say that some of the mfgs will be around??

John
G
I think I would wait until they get a color changing dimmable so it matches the color curve of an incandescent before I did a big dining room or something. They tried dimmable LEDs in a room at my wife;s place replacing PAR38s and the customer hated them.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard