ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Originally Posted by Tesla
As for craft smarts: they're given away by personal tools. Admittedly, it does take some smarts on the part of the interviewer to recognize whether they are poor, average, very good or outstanding tool sets.

No man treats company property better than his own tools.

As Sherlock Holmes would put it: they tell a story.
It takes a sixth sense to find a good employee, I think. If it was easy, someone else would have already hired him/her!

I really like your point about tools. I was once asked "What tools do you own?" during an interview for an engineering position and it remains the best interview question I've ever heard and one I always ask when I'm hiring. Everyone boasts about their capabilities, but is there a better check of aptitude, capabilities, and experience of an engineer or tradesman than their personal toolbox, their reaction to the question, and what particular tools they rattle off when they talk about it?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Depending on the experience level of the employee you are looking for, I found the local VoTech a great source of candidates. Having a relationship with one of the Electrical Trades instructors and the guidance office keeps your company on the 'call list'.

John
V
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Depending on the experience level of the employee you are looking for, I found the local VoTech a great source of candidates. Having a relationship with one of the Electrical Trades instructors and the guidance office keeps your company on the 'call list'.

This is a great idea. Many of the students at vocational schools are looking to move into full time positions right out of high school and ones that pursue the classes prior to graduating will be far ahead of those that didn't attend a vocational school.

I've always been fond of a working interview. Electrician jobs have the potential to be high risk so it may not apply to that field. I know a few roofers who hired newbies for a tear off and after the week he never saw them again because it was "too hard." You get to know someone real quick in 90+ degree heat on a roof for a week.

valewoodelectric:

Hey, welcome to ECN, and it's nice to see you posting.

Yes, the vo-techs are a good source for finding entry level guys.

As to the 'working interview' for potential electricians (entry level or others) one has to be cautious on the liability end. IMHO, someone not covered by your insurances should not be on an active jobsite.

Yes, the first week or two of a 'newbie' usually tells the work ethic. Heat, cold, mud, etc., are common working conditions; some were surprised that all jobsites are not indoor & climate controlled.

Now as an inspector, same conditions, just add rain, snow, etc. to the mix.

John
E
It's a numbers game. You need to have a set of specific questions prepared that are targeted at gauging the experience and work-ethic of the candidate. I had many employees that 'looked good on paper' had the experience and all, but the work-ethic issues started to appear after a month or two.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard