Well, as much as I hate to admit it, there wasn't a problem initially. This whole ugly scenario got started because another identical unit's automatic door was malfunctioning (still is, intermittently, but that's a whole other story) and after much troubleshooting and advice from the local tech it was suggested that swapping I/O boards from a working unit might show where the trouble lies (we didn't have any spare boards and we were more than a little hesitant about using a working washer's board - oops). That didn't solve the problem, the boards were swapped back, and almost 45 minutes later the second unit started having issues. We initially thought it had to do with removing the circuit board and checked, re-checked, and tripled checked the connectors and dip switch positions before thinking that a coincidental malfunction happened elsewhere and a little bit of bad luck was involved.
For myself personally, I see this as a huge learning opportunity since much of this work is still fairly new to me. For the others involved I don't know if they see a sunny side to this experience. To be fair to the other guys, I haven't worked on these bed pan washers until recent, but I know that the others have spent a great deal of time trying to keep them running.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne