ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#21833 02/18/03 03:39 PM
G
nesparky,
It looks like your system ended up working you out of projects and your "employees" out of a "job". Lets hope they didn't spend the money as they made it. If I made more than twice my normal income for a year, I would be in good shape for time off. Actually I have had the last year off and was not in good shape to begin with.

When I was running my business I wanted to get into a position to use a piecework pay system with employees, but never did. Most of my work was industrial and just did not lend itself to that. It would have been nice that instead of being their boss I would have been their customer and they would not have had jobs but their own business. That would have been the way I see it even though on paper I would have still been an employer and had the responsibility that entails.

#21834 02/20/03 01:07 AM
N
That system works well for getting a job done. If there is no work for the future it does not matter what system is used to pay an employee. The guys that did those aptartments do not know how to run conduit. It would be unfair to them to piece rate them on other than residential work. They are very good with Romex, good enough with MC/AC type cable, but no good with conduit.
They learned to do residential work and just stayed there. When I offered to train them to run conduit on a commercial job, they quickly found another large apartment job. I still have contact with them, and will call them if I get another 100+ unit apartment job. Most of those type of jobs are not happening in this area. Smaller residential work is too low balled to be profitable without a getting a lot of change orders.
You can only keep the employees who make you money. Also you can only keep employees when you have work they can do. Training is necessary in this trade and is a cost that has to be paid some how. If things go like we hope, we would get every bid we make, and make a good profit on every job.
The one thing every construction type has to remember is that the day we start a new job we are working ourselves out of a job. When we complete a job we are gone from the day to day operation of that place. Hopefully we have new jobs lined up. If not or those employees cannot do them, layoffs happen.

ed
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard