ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 200 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Relocated here from Photos

member jdscott2005

[Linked Image]

Hey guys, this is my first post so thanks in advance for your help.

I'm replacing a 100A service panel and it is on a 3ft wall that runs perpendicular to the exterior wall and this wall is lined up with the meter socket. The inspector said I will not need a disconnect if I am within 5 ft and that I should put the SE cable in pipe...

What type of "pipe" should be used for this 2/2/2/4 SE cable? Should I take my box down and make a hole in the side so I have a straight run? I am very close to that 5ft max the way I have it now running to the top of the box. I assume wire length inside the boxes are not counted toward that 5 feet?

Remind me of what size wire and ground rod I will need to add to this system please. The ground from panel to meter box is #4 aluminum

John
jdscott2005:

I relocated your post here for better exposure.

The trade practice here is that the service feeder from the meter to the MOCP within a panel must be in a straight path; there is no NEC defined distance for unprotected conductors within a structure. Protection of SEU within "pipe" by the local AHJ is for physical protection of the cable. The diameter of the cable prevents maintaining the required depth from the face of the studs. "Pipe" could be EMT, IMC, or RGC to prevent physical damage.

I see from your profile that you are not an electrician, so you may want to find a local licensed electrician to do this job.

John
So far, 95 views, and not a single comment, or response from the OP.

John
G
One answer is easy. Run a short rigid nipple across that void with a slight down pitch so water can't intrude, punch a hole in the cabinet at the appropriate place and be sure you install a bonding bushing on the end. Then put some duct seal on the outboard end to exclude moisture bugs etc. We don't know how it terminates outside but he will need some kind of bushing there too.

Example of a bonding bushing
[Linked Image from images.plattstatic.com]

Greg Fretwell
S
2/4 ser would usually indicate a feeder made off a meter/main....~S~

~s~:

Good catch. So it's SER, not SEU, perhaps a main outside. But, the OP says the inspector said no disconnect if he is within 5'.

OK, either way, physical protection is required, and I can't substantiate the "5'" even if it is SER.

Wonder what part of PA??

John

Link Copied to Clipboard