ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Originally Posted by sparky66wv
I must say that I have learned a lot with this new experience, and have found myself wanting to be more an educator than an enforcer. My repeat ECs are learning what I like to see and the Joe Homeowners get some free advice, and as long as we can resolve those issues within 24 hours, I'll put an approved sticker on it and withhold the Cut-In-Card until I have seen pics texted to me of the issues I have specified being resolved. It it a way to make the installation pass without having to fail them. Go technology.

That was always my philosophy but I was paid by the state, overseeing state employees so it was less ambiguous about whether I should be "instructing".
We were on the leading edge of the email picture thing around the turn of the century but 8-9 years later when I was building my addition, the inspectors on the project were doing a lot of "send me a picture" stuff.
It was always "by the close of business" when they had to turn in their inspection reports. That saved us both extra time and money.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Advice to HOs is frowned upon for a multitude of legal reasons, both by the twp and the State. Words are chosen carefully; in 'bad' situations..."call a Lic. EC"

Being fair is no problem, my mantra is 'you get one shot at "trust" to correct minor issues'. Last I heard, pics are not acceptable in the States eyes.

Go technology!!!

John
Thanks. Since I have the blessing of my boss/business partner with 11 years experience and with the intention of giving me his established and successful business when he retires in two years, I will continue what we consider to be "business policy" (remember rogue inspector mentioned in another thread that is our main competition)...

I intend to ask our representative with the WVIAEI when we have our CEU classes in a couple of weeks. It will be a conversation outside of class and off the record. His name is Jack Jamison, Jr. and is a "walking code book" according to my partner. Reminds me of my mentors here! Thanks, by the way.

Last edited by sparky66wv; 11/10/16 03:13 AM.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard